1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Other Prius Owners Have This Problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Me Here, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Me Here

Me Here Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2012 Prius III, and my slip indicator light comes on randomly; while I'm stopped, when I accelerate etc and it will stay on, and then shut off randomly. I had the dealership look at it, but it picked just before I got there to go off so they couldn't get the "error code" from it. It recently happened again, only this time it was on from the time I started the car and has been on for the past 4 hours, I've turned the car off and on a few times, but it remains. The dealership was able to get the code, but reported back to me that it's one they have never seen before. This is what I found online:

"If the light stays on, it could indicate a malfunction in:
    • The VSC system; or
    • The TRAC system
    Failing to investigate the cause of the warning may lead to the system operating abnormally and possibly cause an accident. Have the vehicle inspected by your Toyota dealer immediately."

Not sure why they just threw their hands up last time and shrugged their shoulders with an "I don't know" especially if it can cause an accident, but at least this time they got the code and gave me a loaner. I've looked for recalls, but haven't found anything out.

Has anyone else experienced this? What was the resolution? Thanks!

2. Maroon

Maroon Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds like one of your ABS sensors has gone wonky. Would the dealer not at least take it out for a drive to see if it will happen? Get a friend to ride with you to film it with a phone for proof!

3. Me Here

Me Here Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The dealership has gotten the error code and also has seen the slip indicator light on; they've kept the Prius for now because they haven't a clue what the error code means as they have never seen this specific error code before. It's one of the largest Toyota dealerships in my area, so I am just surprised to find that they couldn't diagnose the problem based on the code. It's under warranty and all that jazz, I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same issue.

4. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hopefully, they'll find out what the cause of it is. They'll probably contact someone up the service chain to see if it's an issue with other cars or just a defective part. Someone has to know what's causing this. It may well be that the dealership really hasn't seen it before and is a very isolated problem.

Give them time to diagnose it and see what the outcome is. At least you have something to drive while you wait.

5. Me Here

Me Here Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I only had something to drive because when I bought the Prius I bought and paid for "rental" coverage. I had to force my hand to get the guy to give me one because he said "we only give out a loaner once we know what the problem in." Not knowing what the code means, to me, says you know what the problem is, you're just not educated enough to know what the code means.

They tried to do a band-aid fix; add a wire into the harness to correct the short that was causing the light to stay on. It took less than 2 short drives for the light to come back on. My guess is that the extended warranty that I bought says they are allowed to fix it however they'd like - chewed up stick of bubble gum and DONE!

Turns out it was a switch or sensor, the guy wasn't very clear. They took one off a Prius they had on the lot. Not sure what the cost was as I didn't have to pay for it.