1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Prius owners 65 or older?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by xbdude, May 29, 2007.

1. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Toyota salesman (pretty good guy-- I've bought two trucks and the Prius from him) tells me that the Prius "turns a lot of older folks off because of the technology". He said that many older folks find the car too complicated. I'm not quite at that age yet, but although the Prius drives differently from other cars, it is very easy to use effectively. Any feelings on this?

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm 75 and I bought the Prius because of the technology.

We just had a poll on this subject a couple of weeks ago and only 5 over 65 responded.

3. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ May 29 2007, 08:51 PM) [snapback]451831[/snapback]</div>
    Add one 73-year-old to the list. I can't say I bought the Prius because of the technology but it was certainly because of the results that technology yields -- besides, it's a fun car to drive.

4. mrbazooka

mrbazooka New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xbdude @ May 29 2007, 10:33 PM) [snapback]451821[/snapback]</div>

I'm 72 and the green technology was what attracted me to the Prius. I had a 2001 Prius (106,000 + miles) which I traded-in for a 2006 Prius. The only thing that required getting used to was the braking.

5. jewelerdave

jewelerdave New Member

Dag Darn new fangled technology!
    I see alot of Prius drivers around my home town who are at least in there late 50's, some older.

6. oms2burn

oms2burn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My parents are over 65 and bought an '07 (they started shopping about a month after I brought my '06 home). I have sent them to this site before, but I am doubtful that they are members (yet). Not too complex for them...just drive it (Dad is a retired engineer, Mom a retired programmer, though).

7. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am 73 and I like all of the "gee whiz" stuff, and of course the good mileage. My wife likes the "green" aspect of the Prius. We had a Honda Civic Hybrid for almost 5 years before we got the Prius. We also have an 05 Avalon and one day when I took it in for service they loaned me a Prius for the day (at my request). That was all it took, In less than two weeks we had a new prius to go along with the Avalon and I sold the Honda. There is really no comparison between the Honda Civic Hybrid and the Prius. The Prius is the easiest car to drive that I have ever driven. You are only as old as you feel and the Prius will make you feel young all over again.

8. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xbdude @ May 29 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]451821[/snapback]</div>
    I'm 66 as of a little over a week ago. The technology, regenerative braking, etc. were some of the things that turned me onto the Prius. Not only does it have more luggage and passenger space than the Civic hybrid, it has more energy storage capacity in the HV battery system. I know there are people here on PC that are much older than I, but I don't know the numbers.

Dave M.

9. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

I'm 66 and use the Prius as my fishing car. I can make more trips to Cape Cod and not worry about the cost of gas. When I listen to all the people complain about the cost of gas I have to ask myself there is an answer to this and it's the Prius.
    Now we all know if everyone buys a hybrid the gas cos. will simply raise the cost of fuel to and even higher price. FishHawk

10. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    67 and love all the gadgets the car has. My wife liked the looks first then the extras that come with
    package 6. We had some problems with loading the "phone book" and voice commands but we are not alone on these problems. They are not an age problem. Plus some of these minor glitches are good for the mind, makes you think. I have met 4 other men older than me who have the Prius in my area.

11. dhoward

dhoward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am 66 and I love all the hi tech stuff the car has. Of course I am an Electrical Engineer and that maybe part of the reason. I have been a Prius watcher for a few years and finally 2 months ago I purchased a 2007. I plan to keep it a long time so I hope it is a reliable as everything indicates it is.

12. westex39

westex39 New Member

I'm almost 68. I love all the high tech stuff. I'm a mechanical/electronics nut, so the high tech stuff is just fun for me. Wife loves it too.

13. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My neighbor is single and 65 and has a new 2007. It was her reward to herself for making it through her 2nd knee replacement surgery intact (and in better shape than before). I think it's more likely that older folks just aren't here on the board.

My other older single woman neighbor has a classic.

There are now 8 Prii within a block of me (if I count around the corners and such.) Portland is full of them.

14. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm almost there, and I bought it for better mpg. The technology doesn't bother me as long as it's reliable. My wife hasn't driven it yet, she waiting for the first ding.

15. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I bought my first Prius at age 75 having been attracted by the ecological and technological features, with the added fuel economy as a bonus, so to speak. I am now on my 2nd Prius, having traded my '04 Pkg 8 for an '07 Touring Pkg 6 last November. When our '96 Camry is 'tired,' we will probably acquire either another Prius or an Hybrid Camry... but the '96 Camry is going strong at 110K miles.

I'm retired with banking, finance and technical software support in my professional expeniences.

16. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm 65. Bought it for economy and technology. Love all the doodads.

17. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll be 65 in December. I'm a computer systems engineer though so tech is not scarey to me.

18. tedb

tedb Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My wife and I are both at the Medicare age and we both drive Priii! I have been driving an 05 for a year and a half and she just took delivery on an 07.

Ted

19. suefourmet

suefourmet New Member

I'm 62 and a retired teacher and school principal. I've always love technology - the first on my block to get a Mac back in the early 80's. I show my Papillons and Cotons in dog shows and the cost of gas has made dog showing even more expensive than it used to be. The last few years I have promised myself that the next car I bought would get incredibly good milleage. Well, the time came, I checked out the Honda hybrid and the Prius and the Prius won, hands down. There were a few new gimmicks to learn (which I love) but I also loved the idea that I was actually "walking the talk" as we used to say in my educational jargon days. I feel good about my Prius on many levels and I hope us older types don't let the technolgy scare us. It's easy-to-learn technology and if you don't want to mess with the phone and the navigation, go for one of the lesser packages.

Love this car.

Sue

suefourmet

20. bobby139

bobby139 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xbdude @ May 29 2007, 09:33 PM) [snapback]451821[/snapback]</div>
    I'm 68 and love the innovative technology