1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any PriusChatters in Ireland

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by efusco, May 9, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thought it might be cool to have a Prius encounter of the international kind while I'm over there just for grins and photos.

Anyway, if there are any lurkers feel free to reply or e-mail me. We'll be mostly in Central and Northern Ireland without any opportunity to hit the Southernmost portions of the country.

2. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got home at 2am today from a fantastic 9 days in Ireland (northern/central parts). We had amazing weather with almost no clouds and no significant rain at all for the entire trip.

I shot around 1000 photos (will post a link later if anyone's interested).

During the trip I kept a running tally of the Prii I saw...wasn't hard as I didn't see that many. There were about a million diesels of various brands, types and sizes...including the rental van we had. A HUGE Ford Transit Diesel with automatic transmission. It did amazingly well on fuel actually. We had 8 people in the van with more than enough room for all our luggage and an empty seat in the front as well. I do NOT recommend others rent a behemoth like this in Ireland though...driving on the left is bad enough. Narrow winding roads with blind curves are bad enough...now do it in a mini-bus size truck...quite an adventure and I didn't come away unscathed. Hit the top of the back door in a parking garage that was supposed to be tall enough for the van...and was except in one spot right by the exit. Then I scraped something with the side of the van and left a big scrape down the side. Fortunately I'd paid extra for the zero deductible CDW (collision damage waiver)...86 Euro well spent considering the deductible on the basic CDW was 1600 Euro!

Anyway, the tally:
    Most Prii spotted were in Galway--2 Salsa, 2 Silver
    Saw 2 other Prii outside Galway in various locations 1 each Salsa & Silver
    Then, in Dublin as we headed to the airport to go home I saw one gold (I assume Driftwood if that's the color there) Prius.

Grand total of 7 Prii spotted in 9 days in Ireland. Didn't get a chance to meet any of the owners/drivers though.

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 7 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]267184[/snapback]</div>
    Sure... 1000 pics., damn! :D

...but I can understand, on a couple of my trips, I suddenly find myself with 400 some odd...lol, then I got a camera with mpeg capability, and found myself getting into the habit of standing in the middle of something or other, and filming 360 clips... :ph34r:

Seriously, one of my fav. internet pastimes, is finding people's vacation pics. online somewhere. It's just sort of weird seeing how other people vacation. :)

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jun 14 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]271101[/snapback]</div>
    Actually ended up around 1200 pics--18GB worth on my storage device.

If yer really bored and wanna see them click on the Ireland set at http://www.flickr.com/photos/efusco

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Poor Doc... Looking to land an Irish Prius, instead, ended up snagging a deranged Squid... :lol:

Cool pics.! In my mind, they're pretty much summarized as: rolling greens and rocks! The cliffs are F'in cool, and just like in the movies, almost always seems to be overcast... Even when it's sunny it somehow only seems a bit less dreary... :lol: You half expect people like the cast of Braveheart milling around in the background somewhere... Oh, that blue car, I think that's the new Lotus (the one Docvijay has in his sig.)... :ph34r: That fish-eye lens is awesome, particularly in situations where you can make a scene sort of look like an entire planet...

:D

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the comments Squid. That blue car was very cool. It's a brand that I'm completely blanking on the name of...we saw the plant and the car in N. Ireland....starts with a "V".

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the car in question for anyone interested, but not interested enough to comb through almost 700 photos to find it:
    [​IMG]

I found who I thought was the manufacturer...Vauxhall , but I can't find this model listed on the web site....so I may be mistaken.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 16 2006, 11:18 AM) [snapback]272317[/snapback]</div>
    Vauxhaull is owned by General Motors. Most of its model range is identical to German Opel.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I cannot tell for sure, but it may be the Vauxhall VXR220 which is built in collaboration with Lotus and is based on the Lotus Elise 111R.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jun 16 2006, 08:09 PM) [snapback]272502[/snapback]</div>
    That makes sense.