1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

any pros w/ torque pro who can teach me to add/ck. Prius specific PIDs?

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by archibald tuttle, Dec 28, 2020.

1. archibald tuttle

archibald tuttle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So got a virtual christmas tree of warning lights as a holiday present although the 2012 Prius V continues to start and drive but no speedometer or energy consumption meter readings.

I know a guy at a shop who quickly scanned the car at close of business day before christmas and he found a notation: "ABS module failed to communicate with ECM" or something to that effect. I don't have the fault number, if there was one and trying to extract that information.

I have obtained bluetooth adapter and downloaded torque pro to my android to try to figure out what faults I actually have and what are follow on indicators. It connects fine to the bluetooth and, like my old school OBD2 scanner finds no engine faults but I cannot figure out how to interrogate for other faults or indicators that would yield the same result that the mechanic got with his professional interface tool.

I have gone into settings to "manage extra PIDs/Sensors" and chosen "add predefined set" from the three dot options there and Torque Pro appears to be carrying a large (if not necessarily perfectly comprehensive) set of PIDs without the need as in the old days to obtain them on the net, unzip them, put them on a card or download them by cable to the phone. I was easily able to navigate to the Prius Gen III 2010+ and this brings up a long list of additional parameters. they include ABS and brake warning light PIDs although not anything on first scroll through that appears to offer brake communication warning. But I cannot figure how I actually add or use these PIDs from the list. There are many youtube videos that show how to get where i've gotten on my own, but none of them seem to go further.

The PIDs seem to be presented in a format that would be suitable to a 'meter' as in 1 or 0 so the meter would be pegged one way or another but i can't find a setting of function to add a meter to see if I can key the meter to these warning light PIDs. And i'm not sure the meter is the correct meme for collecting faults anyway. I'm not, at this juncture, trying to continuously monitor while operating. I just want to get any faults that are set but it isn't clear to me that the "fault codes" function in the home screen would do so without the addition of PIDs which I can see but am unclear how to add or effectuate (separately, hoping for success with another program dr. Prius did extract one HV Battery Fault: CC129 but doesn't seem to have access to the broader parameters of operation other than battery and engine codes and Car Scanner connects to ELM but keeps dropping the connection to the ECU using this same adapater that seems to perform fine with Dr. Prius and Torque.

Once I actually figure out how to add a PID, I also wonder if there is a known comprehensive list of Gen !!I PIDs to compare to the list I'm being offered to see if I might need to enter a custom PID to pick up the fault i'm looking for.

as a secondary matter there is then the question of how one would reset or clear these non-engine codes which I'm avoiding for the time being having been warned that I should first compare the codes to known emissions warranty or customer service covered problems for this car before I clear them. Obviously, if I can garner what faults i'm actually throwing, it sure would be nice to be able to clear them and see if they reoccur or whether the communication error might have been due to low voltage on the bus during boot up as i contemporaneously lost the LV battery.

thanks if you have some hints to make the 12 days of christmas turn our better for this mechanic than the 1st of them

brian

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I can't help you with Torque Pro but a dealer diagnosis might be free if its the brake actuator. On a 2012v you may have a matter of months before the extended customer support program expires - depending on when the car was originally purchased.

Even if its not a warranty item they would tell you what is wrong.

By the way, I am assuming you have the Prius v wagon (lowercase v), not the Prius V hatchback.