1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any quicker way to accelerate in EV of HV ONLY mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by yazyazoo, Jul 26, 2014.

1. yazyazoo

yazyazoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was wondering if any of you PiP or traditional Prius users could tell me the quickest way to accelerate when in EV mode of HV ONLY mode? So I find acceleration is good in TRUE EV mode where I can keep up with regular traffic from a dead stop, however after I have used that batteries resources up I try to use EV of the HV only mode as much as possible.

I find that in EV of HV only mode to be so slow from a dead stop. I try to press the pedal so that the I go to the halfway bar or max of EV mode. However it barely gets the car moving. I figure this is how the traditional Prius works. I think if I was to try to use this EV power to get to 25 mph it would take 15 seconds!

How do you get to speed in the EV of HV only mode? Do you use the ICE to get to 25 then let go the gas and then recruise with EV at 25mph?

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no! don't do it. pulse and glide when your ev battery is used up, that will get you the best mpg's. if you try to stay in ev mode, except in certain circumstances, you use up the battery and the ice has to run to recharge it, which is less efficient than using the ice for motive power.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When you are in HV mode, acceleration without starting the ICE is very slow. It is intended to complement ICE where it is not efficient making below 15 hp.

As bisco pointed out, HV mode is the charge sustain mode. That means, any electricity you use up would have to be recharged using the ICE.

4. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What you said at the end: Use ICE to accel, then drop back below the halfway mark and glide to the next point you need to use the ICE.

5. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Once you have used up the EV miles just "drive the car" for the least frustration and great mpg. If conditions permit P&G is fine but be considerate of all the folks behind you.