1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any real differences between 2006-2007 models?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by billyboy, Sep 22, 2006.

1. billyboy

billyboy Guest

Almost certain to get a new Prius, but can't make up my mind about getting a 2006 or 2007. It seems there is little real difference. Am I missing something? :huh:

2. nmeyer79

nmeyer79 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billyboy @ Sep 22 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]323375[/snapback]</div>
    Billyboy, for some reason people here are silent when it comes to questions about the 2007 model. I posted a link a while ago to a cnet.com video from the 2006 geneva auto show, in which cnet's editor-in-chief spoke of an improved navigation display resolution with 3D graphics and traffic information. I think that was the only difference between the 2007 and 2006. You can do a google search for the video- I think if you just type in "2007 prius" it should show up.

For some reason, I thought the improved resolution and realtime traffic info would get people excited, but no one responded! This board is great, but I'm so confused as to why people are very quiet when questions arise about the navigation system.

That may be more information than you wanted, but that's what I know!

-Nat

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nmeyer79 @ Sep 22 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]323430[/snapback]</div>
    The 2006 has improved resolution. I'm not sure whether the 2007 is improved over the 2006, or just the same improved resolution. The lack of hard information is part of why you are having a hard time getting any reaction to the 2007 model.

As for the realtime traffic info, many of us live in areas that will never see realtime traffic info, or at least not for the life of any automobile. Maybe it would be nice for the few times a year I drive to a large city.

Tom

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Somewhere I heard that the basic '07 would include the side airbags which would account for the ~$450 increased base price. In a practical evaluation, this would affect only those purchasers who would have bought the less fancy packages since they'd get the side airbags in the '07 not included in the corresponding packages in the '06. Seems for those who purchase the fancier packages corresponding to the #7 & #8 for the '06 would be affected little, if any. One tradeoff for the higher resolution MFD in the '06 and '07 is that the color seclections has been reduced to two from the four in the '04-'05 models.

I'm confident that Toyota dealers are anxious to sell all the '06's enroute before the '07s begin to arrive in 6-8 weeks. Even so, the North Texas dealers are not discounting the remaining '06s.

To me, it would be unwise to purchase an '06 new and have a "year-old model" so quickly, that is unless the dealer would offer a noticeable discount. I shopped to trade to an '06 in North Texas but found no discounts and "lowball" offers on my 21K miles '04. Decided to await the '07.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm silent simply because I'm ignorant on the subject. I haven't looked into the 2007 model at all. Ever since those stupid 2006 models got iPod integration, a back-up camera, and optional leather It just makes Priapus feel inadequate.

6. PriusFlorida

PriusFlorida New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billyboy @ Sep 22 2006, 11:20 AM) [snapback]323375[/snapback]</div>
    I can answer this only becuase my Dealer showed us the specs and options on the 2007.

The sideair bags are now standard

the packages have all upgraded.

Like package #1 has the smart key and the rear camera instead of having to pick option 6 or 7 .

You can look it all up at toyota.com

A proud Chic with a Black Prius

B)

7. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 22 2006, 01:23 PM) [snapback]323452[/snapback]</div>
    I hope Priapus doesn't know how you feel about it! And before you start thinking your little car is inadequate, remember that there's hundreds of car models out there that are far more luxurious and have better options than the Prius. If it makes you feel any better, I find that the backup camera isn't anything amazing. I'm not comfortable backing up and not looking over my shoulder, it just feels reckless.

8. billyboy

billyboy Guest

Thanks guys, yep I'm looking at the 2007 brochure right now and watched every bit of the "official" Toyota demo on their site and about the only thing I can see different from what else I found on the web for the 2006 is the side airbags are now standard. I live in the Chicago area, Western burbs, my dealer so far got one 2007 (havenn't seen yet) they use for test drives only plus they got a few predriven 2006 models and right now they say a 3-4 month wait.

I don't see much of a point of buying a year old car will milage on it if they aren't going to discount the price. Haven't done anything with the dealer yet but grab a brochure.

9. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations on a good choice. I don't think the 07 model has many updates. The new part is a "touring" package with larger rims and a spoiler (sigh). I haven't heard anything about an updated GPS and it would surprise me a bit as the 06 model got a new screen and gps system (at least higher-res).

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. For the same price (or $500 difference) I would take an 07, if you can afford to wait a couple of months

I think the 08 model might be a larger update as Toyota tend to keep each model for 4 years before updating. We'll see

10. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

So it comes down to this:

1. 2007 models are more expensive, but that's because the upgrades have shifted up to the lower packages.

2. 2007 has a touring version.

11. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm sure there are a couple of new spiffu colors... I really wish I could have found a magnetic gray car instead of this middle of the road "gold" I have now... I wonder what they new colors are for 07?

12. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nmeyer79 @ Sep 22 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]323430[/snapback]</div>
    I think it is because people here are not driving the 07's yet and do not know the differences first hand. Toyota.com will now allow you to bulid and price a 2007 model.

13. peakfinder

peakfinder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Sep 22 2006, 02:24 PM) [snapback]323553[/snapback]</div>

Since it seems that Toyota will be releasing the third generation Prius as the 2009 model in late 2008, I wonder if the 2008 model may actullay have less change then between the 2006 and 2007.

Joe

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    typically they'll try out some ideas for the upgrades in the year before the radical redesign. this could either pan out to be a really good thing or a really bad thing.

15. billyboy

billyboy Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Sep 22 2006, 03:38 PM) [snapback]323562[/snapback]</div>
    According to the official 2007 Toyota brochure I'm looking at the colors are:

white, classic silver metallic, magnetic gray,driftwood pearl (tan) Barcelona Red metallic, Silver pine Mica (Pale green) Seaside Pearl (med dark blue) and black.

Interior Fabric Bisque (med tan) dark gray, leather in those same two colors.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nmeyer79 @ Sep 22 2006, 09:40 AM) [snapback]323430[/snapback]</div>
    Also, cnet's info is wrong because they were showing the 2006 Prius not a 2007 like they said. The 2006 model year was when the Prius got its midlife cycle upgrade (higher res screen, diff headlights/taillights, rear seat lowered by 2cm, upgraded dash trim etc)

17. peakfinder

peakfinder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billyboy @ Sep 22 2006, 09:07 PM) [snapback]323725[/snapback]</div>

On the Toyota website, at least in my zip code, the colors are further constrained based upon your selction of touring edition, or non-touring edition.

Joe

18. nmeyer79

nmeyer79 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 22 2006, 10:15 PM) [snapback]323728[/snapback]</div>
    What about the realtime traffic info?

Sorry everyone- I should've mentioned that the main reason people hadn't responded about the 2007 was because we haven't seen it yet! I guess I thought people would sort of be...pre-emptively excited about the upgrades, but now it looks like I/cnet was wrong, and that these updates had already been made. That explains the lack of responses!

Now I'm wondering whether I should be waiting for the 2007, since it seems like there's no real difference (I wanted the second-highest package, which would come with the side airbags that come standard on the 2007)....

19. SoopahMan

SoopahMan Member

From what I've read, there's the backup camera, and the improved Nav - but I've read that the Nav is the best Nav in any car, bought separately or integrated, so that's something to say about it.

So, if you weren't planning on getting the nav in the '06... you basically have nothing worth buying on it.

Also, the European version of the 2007 can Parallel Park for you. You press some buttons on the screen and it uses that rear camera to park it, hands-free - but you'd need to import it from Europe to get around Toyota's legal fears.

Oh and yes as you noticed - it costs more.

*sigh*

20. whudgens

whudgens New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SoopahMan @ Sep 23 2006, 05:56 AM) [snapback]323830[/snapback]</div>

Hello Folks,

I see about all the new options and such. But what about what I think is the main goal? The MPG's? I was looking forward to ion batterys to achieve better mpg's. Don't get me wrong I am going to buy a 2007 but wanted something to get 75 mpg or such..