1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any rumors or info on US shortage.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Greysquirrel34, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Greysquirrel34

Greysquirrel34 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone heard of a US shortage of the Prius in the US as the have in Japan where delivery may take as long a 8 months?
    I know the local dealers in my area are getting only around 4-6 cars a month, this could be because we are not in a large market area like Atlanta, NY, NJ and CA. so they probably get the short end of the stick when it comes down to distribution of vehicles.

2. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I went to my dealer Beechmont Toyota in Cincinnati, OH and they had 3 out in front.

3. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    there's a constant circulation of 2-4 on the lot at my local dealer

4. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't seen many around Little Rock, and the on-line tool at buyatoyota.com suggests there are only a few in stock, but several more listed as "available."

I suspect it is a business decision not to bring in a lot, given that sales for new cars crashed after the end of Cash for Clunkers. I don't know whether it's a Toyota decision, a GST region decision, or the product of individual dealer decisions. I'd be interested in knowing from the Toyota folks.

5. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At least when I was looking last week in SF Bay Area, they have several Pkg 3, 4 & 5 with different options at most dealers at MSRP or less. Only Pkg 2 was alot harder to find. Out of 40+ dealers I contacted, only maybe 5 or so have one or two in stock that customer cancelled or not being sold at their mark up prices. I think in about a month the Pkg2 should be readily available.

6. stefcat

stefcat New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We have one pkg ii here and it has been here I few weeks

7. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We had none from the end of Aug thru the 3rd week of Sept and we're the biggest retailer by far in our region. Now that resupply has caught up with the outrageous demand of August we have 5. But these will be gone soon. A week or 10 days is about the max that any one sits unsold.

Watchout for the currency situation, though.

8. Tobalt

Tobalt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm going to pick up my 2010 Prius III, Winter Gray with Solar this Friday from a Toyota dealership in Memphis, TN. From what the dealer said, they have like ~10 in the lot.

9. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Been watching the local dealership in the Bay Area recently and they have had 30-40 on the lot the past 2 weeks.

10. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In Hawaii, there's nary a Prius on the lots... Want one now? down payment and wait until Jan 2010... Dealer said Toyota is only shipping ~30 cars per month for the whole state... (there is only one Toyota dealer in Hawaii)

11. moss

moss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer in Seattle has had 6 on the lot for a couple weeks. I saw 5 at another dealer last week.

12. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    8 on the lot at my dealer and all came in within last week.

13. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They were pretty scarce during and shortly after C4C, but all the dealers around me have them again, seemingly more inventory with each passing week. Still offering them at slightly under MSRP.

14. moss

moss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    For us, we are in a rather brisk market. And, we're one of the top Prius dealers in the USA. I know I sold 49 Prius *myself* during cash4clunkers and I am certain my store's salespeople did that or more.

Southern California allocations are up significantly since late August, but I don't think you can look at anyone's website and tell if here are cars "sitting". I have cars "sitting" tonight because I can't deliver them till tomorrow... so many websites will show product that is actually already spoken for with a deposit.

I'm finding many dealers in SoCal, Nevada and AZ are pre-selling cars prior to arrival much like we are. I spent the better part of my day Monday on the phone trading around to locate cars to fill our sold orders; unique cars we don't usually get like III's with sunroofs or just hard to find cars in high-demand colors. I'd call on cars that showed up online but got shot down a-plenty with 'sorry -- it's spoken for, but we have this <insert what I don't want here> or do you see anything else you might be able to make work?

My last allocation was 33 cars, of which half are already pre-sold and it's probably going to be all sold out soon. :(

Dianne

16. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    One of our local dealer just jumps from 5 Prius a few days ago to 17 today.

17. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The three dealers around me have none on the lot...oh yeah, there was one Package 4 for $30k++ that a buyer backed out of.

18. Slovewell

Slovewell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'm Curious, What is the favorite color and package at your dealership?

19. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is most likely why September sales were only half of August's! You can't sell what you don't have.

20. codybigdog123

codybigdog123 Got Mad and Left in a Tizzy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The largest Toyota dealer in the Chicago area (where I bought my car), typically has 4-6 Prii on the lot on any given weekend. However, usually 2-3 of those are already sold...so maybe only 2-3 avaialble on any given week.

I ordered a IV with the solar sunroof package back in late June. I took delivery in early September. I was told by my salesperson that the Prius, with the solar sunroof package, is in short supply. I don't know if the supply of the solar sunroof equiped Prius as relaxed any, but I suspect if you want a specific color, with the solar, you are going to have to wait 2+ months.