1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any runners here?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by withersea, May 13, 2007.

1. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do we have any runners on PriusChat? If so, why do you run? Exercise? Stress relief? Competition? Meditation?

2. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(withersea @ May 13 2007, 07:00 PM) [snapback]441322[/snapback]</div>
    I have been running for a couple of years now. Primarily for exercise, but it is most certainly a good stress reliever. I have competed in a couple of 4M races, and I actually surprised myself. I absolutely love running now.

3. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have been running since Apple and Nike released their Nike+ system. Its a great weight control method and makes me feel more healthy overall.

I never ran before in my life and I have run up to 9 miles in one run!

Cheers!

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I began running when I was about 35 years old, and kept it up for 5 years. Then I let go of it for about 5 or 6 years, before I resumed again, and I'm still running.

I do it for weight control because it burns calories and it supresses my compulsion to overeat, and I do it for mood control. I used to be subject to depression. Jogging put an end to that. I also do it because cardiovascular fitness feels good. There is no food in the world that tastes as good as being able to trot up several flights of stairs feels.

I'm a very slow jogger, and though I used to run 10K once a week, I now limit myself to 35 minutes, which was close to 4 miles when I was lighter, and is 3 miles now that I'm 20 lbs over what I used to weigh.

5. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do it for the challenge. I have run the last four New York Marathons... Why? Because I can. I'm not the greatest runner in the world so I just compete against my own past times.

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm a jogger, not a runner. Some of you marathoners understandably might take it as an insult to be called a jogger. Being middle-aged, a little overweight, and slow, to me it's a compliment. :)

That is, when I'm not injured. I sprained my ankle about 3 weeks ago while jogging on a trail in the nearby state park. I stepped on a rock, root, or stump -- not sure which -- and turned my ankle over, falling forward and scraping my elbow, knee, and lower leg.

My reasons and methods -- and speed -- are very similar to Daniel's. Daniel, I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps a blistering 11-12 minute/mile pace!

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ May 14 2007, 04:53 AM) [snapback]441533[/snapback]</div>
    I use the words "run" and "jog" interchangeably, though perhaps I should not.

Until the end of 2005, I typically ran around a 9 1/2 minute pace. A few months after I moved to Spokane, my pace suddenly dropped, almost overnight, to 12 minutes. I have no idea why. I worried maybe I'd had a "silent" heart attack which had suddenly reduced my cv output, but I've had EKGs since then, and such damage would have shown up. My age and my weight gain could explain slowing down, but not the suddenness of it. Now I'm back up to 11 1/2 min/mile.

I gave up entering fun-run races because I pushed myself too hard training for them and got too many injuries. Now I just find a comfortable pace and stick with it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ May 14 2007, 04:53 AM) [snapback]441533[/snapback]</div>
    I use the words "run" and "jog" interchangeably, though perhaps I should not.

Until the end of 2005, I typically ran around a 9 1/2 minute pace. A few months after I moved to Spokane, my pace suddenly dropped, almost overnight, to 12 minutes. I have no idea why. I worried maybe I'd had a "silent" heart attack which had suddenly reduced my cv output, but I've had EKGs since then, and such damage would have shown up. My age and my weight gain could explain slowing down, but not the suddenness of it. Now I'm back up to 11 1/2 min/mile.

I gave up entering fun-run races because I pushed myself too hard training for them and got too many injuries. Now I just find a comfortable pace and stick with it.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I like to think i'm a runner... and at times, it's certainly true :) I used to run 5-6 times per week, but in the past 1.5 years i've managed to get 2 sprains that have kept me off running, more or less. now that it's warmed up, i'm starting to get back into it, however the next few weeks are going to be dedicated to walking inclines on the treadmill to prep for a backpacking trip i'm taking with some guys.

9. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was a runner, and I might be again some day. I really enjoy mountain running and don't really enjoy city running. I don't live near mountains anymore, and I find biking a lot more enjoyable in and around where I live.

My parents, on the other hand, are both ultra-runners. they've both repeatedly run the Wasatch Front 100 Mile Endurance Run (one of the harder hundred-milers out there) and have both finished in times better than 24 hours. The race has a cumulative elevation gain of about 27,000 feet, and elevation loss of about 26,000 feet.

Secretly I want to be able to run that race some day.

[edit] ha ha, I just checked the race's website and my dad is signed up to run it again this year... what a jerk! He's 57 years old :)

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Jogger here. Doing it to get exercise though I'd rather be mountain biking.

11. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I do it for all the reasons you listed. Sadly, I haven't been working it into my schedule in the past few months...

And I too consider myself a jogger. My best speed for multi-mile runs was about 8 and a half miles per hour. I usually kept the 9-10 minute mile pace.

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I prefer cycling, but for the same reasons people run - the stress release, the exercise, and, on good day, the meditative aspect. The ocean's about an hour away by bike in one direction, and the mountains are a little closer in the opposite direction. I don't think I'd make it that far on foot. I like being able to take my stuff with me and keep going for few days, instead of having to return home after a couple of hours. I think it's easier on the old bod, too.

13. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(withersea @ May 13 2007, 09:00 PM) [snapback]441322[/snapback]</div>
    Well, it's been a while, but I usually run for exercise, followed by competition, and occasionally for stress relief. Haven't tried running for meditative purposes - that's a new one on me.

14. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I like to run in 5 mile segments, try to get in four times a week with other exercises in between... Have had to rest my ankle for the last week so have been doing other aerobic workouts.

15. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ May 14 2007, 09:25 AM) [snapback]441571[/snapback]</div>
    Holy Mercury Batman!- Wasatch Front 100
    http://www.wasatch100.com/

16. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ooh, good post! I was going to ask if there are any runners in the north LA area who are up for some evening 8milers, weekend 12, or maybe some intervals on the oval? Just moved up here and lost all my training partners! There's a group called Basin Blues, but they don't seem very organized, then the big clubs like LA leggers are too big for my taste.

I try to do 40 mi/wk or so, to keep my slim figure....
    been slacking the last month or so with the move/new job/etc getting in the way. Need to get back in it!

Any takers?