1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Shift Knobs that will fit the '05 Prius knob?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by chryokim, Jul 11, 2005.

1. chryokim

chryokim New Member

Does anyone know of any shift knobs that will fit the '05 knob?

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I built one using a knob from lowes and a nylon spacer. The lowes knob had larger threads than the Prius, so I built a thread adapter by unscrewing the existing knob, matching up the threads at lowes, buying a tap of the existing Prius knob thread, then buying a die of the new knob's thread.

I then threaded the outside of the spacer with the die, screwed it into the new knob, then threaded the inside of the spacer.

Then, just screw the new knob onto the rod in the car.

Now I have a knob that looks great, is round, and doesn't poke my knee.

Most people that drive the car think it came with the car since it matches the steering wheel.

Nate

3. chryokim

chryokim New Member

Awesome! Thanx NaterP...You wouldn't happen to have pics while doing the MOD, as well as the finished product, would you?

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No pics while modding; but I might still have the Lowe's item numbers for the knob and the nylon insert.

I remember now that the nylon insert had four little "fins" on it at the base like a rocket. I had to shave them off with an exacto knife.

I can get you some pics of the knob (on and off the car) but the nylon insert is NEVER coming out of the knob, so I can only show what it looks like when it's finished.

I'm also remembering now that I cut off some of the length of the insert (flush with the knob) after screwing it in, because the insert was longer than the hole was deep.

By the way, if you are looking for a way to hold on to the insert while using the die to cut new threads, a bolt with the same thread type as the rod in the car will do nicely.

The total cost for this project is about $20, mostly for the tap and die. If you really want, you may have success using a bolt as a tap and a nut as a die since the nylon is so soft.

Nate

5. chryokim

chryokim New Member

That would be great NaterP!!! Please post when you get the chance!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: