1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any solutions to XM Signal Fade?

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by rjparker, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  2. Chris92057

Chris92057 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    do you have the whip or the shark antenna. In this case, the whip (the stubby one) would be a better choice.

3. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You do not need either for xm. It is all in the base that those pieces screw into.

4. Chris92057

Chris92057 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting, RJParker. I confirmed with an electronic engineer; you are correct. It is in the base of the antenna. It goes back to wavelength.

5. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have had a few of those EE courses myself along with 30 years of experience. The dealer won't fix it until it fails totally because they think trees and clouds can cause dropouts (which I have not had for almost 3 years on the same routes). And the dropouts are sometimes 15 minutes while I am driving!

So I have two game plans:

First I have an old portable XM receiver (XM2go) that I am connecting to the car with a separate magnetic antenna with it's audio wired into the car's AUX jack. I can then check audio with the built in and the portable on the road. The portable has an added advantage in that it has an "Antenna Aiming" function that allows realtime signal strength of both the satellite and the land based terrestrial transmitters (one in Austin and one in San Antonio in my area, both low power 8kw).

Second I ordered an $11 adapter cable for the Display Audio's XM antenna input (a GT5-1s to SMB Male Bulkhead cable). This, if necessary will allow my $20 XM magnetic antenna to plug in to the Display Audio. However this requires pulling the Display Audio unit and running the antenna wiring cleanly to the roof, not the most desired solution.

Meanwhile the existing antenna/cable/head unit problem on XM seems to be getting progressively worse. Maybe it will fail completely.

Chris92057 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.