1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any suggestions for '05 Prius Purchase?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by HiHoStevo, Jul 5, 2009.

1. HiHoStevo

HiHoStevo Airport Bum

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    our '08 Prius with package #6 is sailing along without incident... only 12.500 miles so far.

However, I have an opportunity to purchase a used '05 model (not sure of the packages... it has NAV but not leather). It appears to be a clean little car with only 24,000 miles on it.

Are there any "issues" I should be aware of with the '05 model?

Any items that I should look at or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks for your help.

steve

Ps. this car if purchased will be in "snow country" and I would appreciate any suggestions relating to operating the car in the snowy months.... are there tires that make a beneficial difference, but do not detract from the cars mileage???

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless the dealer had it put in by a third party then I agree. No leather option for 2005.

The lower res screen has never been an issue for me. Neither is the AUX jack since there are much better ways to integrate an iPod or USB device nowadays. The only concern would be if this was an early model 2005 then you would have to keep an eye on the MFD and hope it doesn't fail like it has with other 2004-early 2005 models. Other than that my car has been care free for 94k miles.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    +1

Other than the mfd resolution & leather, the Gen II's are pretty much the same. The '05 you're looking at will have history with the local dealer if that's where they did the maintenance. They'll have record of things like the mfd being changed out, if in fact it needed it. They're not that hard to change out, as a DIY either. Lots of availability, and for a better price than you'd get 'back in the day'. That issue was resolved in '05 so if the car was made later in the year, the mfd wouldn't be an issue. What kind of price are you getting?

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    05 doesn't come with Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Each sensor cost over $100 so you are looking at ~$500 for the whole system.

It is the standard feature on 06 or higher. Starting from 2008, by law TPMS is required for all new cars.

6. HiHoStevo

HiHoStevo Airport Bum

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to all you who have responded !!

The '05 only has 23,000 miles on it and it is the BC Package which included NAV.

The build date is Oct 24, 2005 so I am hoping I do not have the MFD issue.

The NAV data is very old however... as it does not even have my street on it! (my house was built during '02 & '03 so I don't know what they were using for Data!

The Dealer wants $265 for an update DVD (which seems amazingly expensive given what you can buy a brand new Garmin for these days). Are there any less expensive alternatives for purchasing the updates other than the dealer???

I have ordered mudgards, shark antenna, and door guards from the PriusChat store.

I am considering having a local shop do a leather upgrade with seat heaters...

As well as a Clear Bra application on the hood, fenders, and mirrors

Oops, forgot to mention that the folks that traded this car in only gave the dealer a single key "fob." The dealer wants $200+ for a new fob.... are there any more reasonable priced places to purchase these units?

Any other suggestions????

7. aapoppa

aapoppa formerly known as "Popoff"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Some early 2005 cars had an overly sensitive traction control that made them dangerous to drive in slick conditions. When a drive wheel lost traction, the TC shut the engine down completely and the car was "dead in the water."

You state your car was produced later in 2005 so you will probably be OK. Best to check it out carefully under controlled conditions to be sure before you venture out in bad winter weather.

Do a search on "traction control" and you will find threads that describe the problem.

BTW, snow tires did not alleviate the problem.

1 person likes this.