1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any tips on 220k weak engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SanGregprius, Jan 18, 2024.

1. SanGregprius

SanGregprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've recently replaced the HV battery. Recent water pump and belt. Cleaned intake manifold. Airfilter and plugs have been changed recently.

Getting a good amount of white smoke on cold mornings. Pretty rough idle and when the engine toggles off/on it is easy to feel it. I'm in a coastal area between 50-65 so not even that cold.
    Clears up after warm but Could barely get up a very steep hill even though car was warmed up.

I'm wondering if I should do an injector cleaning, or if anyone has any other maintenance recommendations. Am I expecting too much? MPG is still around 48, and I'm a sloooow driver.

Thanks for any tips.

#1 SanGregprius, Jan 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sounds like the cars at a very hard life and high mileage maybe a compression check is in order before going too much farther these cars generally don't take a lot of work with the way you were talking I thought you were talking about a generation 3 at first this is not normal for this model at all unless the above conditions are kind of met. I have four of these things in various mileages all of them extremely high and none of them produce white smoke in the morning but for a few seconds and it's got to be real cold like freezing

3. SanGregprius

SanGregprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for your input. Besides being outside, the car has had mostly freeway miles. The hill climb was not normal but was alarming.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    An engine is merely an air pump. It needs to draw air in and move air out. If either of these are restricted, it will cause low power, and often won't trigger a CEL. These restrictions normally show up first on uphill drives because the engine needs to breathe more than usual to make more power. Make sure you don't have a mouse nest in your intake ductwork. If you're DIY, it's also free to remove your exhaust pipe from the engine exhaust manifold and inspect to see if the catalytic converter is getting clogged. It's been known to happen....

lack of power, possible exhaust leak at manifold flange and/or clogged catalytic converter ? | PriusChat

If you find something similar after removing the pipe, and have a good air compressor, plug the exhaust end of the pipe and put a high flow air nozzle in the O2 sensor port. Blast away but don't do it in the garage and don't be looking at the engine side of the pipe because you'll likely be amazed at the black soot cloud that will blow out. Even for an unplugged cat. I do this to every Gen 2 I buy.

#4 TMR-JWAP, Jan 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2024