1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Tips on Windshield Replacement??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Infidel, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Infidel

Infidel New Member

On the morning freeway commute, I took a windshield hit that sounded like an impact from a teed off golfball. After pulling my head up from the involuntary duck, there was a nasty starburst fracture in the upper middle of the glass.

I have had a lot of windshields done on other cars, usually successful, by the mobil auto glass guys that contract with my insurance. But with the Prius, it has this unusual dot-matrix shading just ahead of the rear view mirror, and also, w/ Pkg 7, the mirror mount has all the wiring running to it for the Auto Dim and Homelink.

So its not just some super-glued on mount base like a typical windshield, there is like a plastic conduit bonded on, which contains all the wiring it appears.

If you go with an aftermarket windshield, do you get the shaded area and provision for the Homelink wiring??? Or do you have to insist on an OEM replacement windshield to have the right features?

I searched the main forum posts, and found one from Frank Hudon, who recommended "replacing both dams" when they install the new windshield. This sounds like an extra step I have never seen these "glass artists" perform. Usually they just pull out the caulking gun of black goop and lay a heavy bead all around the frame, before they set the new glass in place. So I should insist they pull the old dams out and install new ones? Are these Toyota parts or is something they would likely have on their truck anyway?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Infidel @ Sep 8 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]316520[/snapback]</div>
    Bummer on your star burst. :( I had a similar experience, so I can tell you with certainty that any reliable aftermarket glass WILL have all the stuff of the original. Dots, wiring and all. The other good news is that you can get a SHADED windshield now - aftermarket only. Toyota still doesn't make it. The bad news - I have yet to have a good one installed after three attempts! It is like looking through rippling water - even when viewed straight ahead. My installer says he's never seen anything like it before - that this mfg was typically one of the better ones. So, we're still trying!

I too would like to hear more about these "dams." No clue what it is. My guy put all new rubbery u-channel stuff around the glass, and set it in a bead of black goo.

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We just replaced the windshield on my wife's car because a tree branch smashed through it during a thunder storm.

We just had one of the mobile auto glass replacement people do it (I think it was Diamond Auto Glass). I didn't ask for anything special, and I got a windshield that looked nearly identical to the original. I have two Priuses, so I was able to compare. It had all the same black dots and such behind the mirror and along the edges.

It will cost you between $300 and $450 depending on who you ask. That's if you are paying for it your self and get to use one of the discounts. If the insurance company is paying for it, then you get the list price of $600.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Howdy Infidel...

I had a damaged windshield when driving my new Prius home to Dallas from Houston. A truck on the Interstate flung a stone which caused a "2-part" dimple. Since it was basically 2 hits close to each other, it was not repairable with the silicone treatment.

When given a choice of OEM [Toyota brand Original Equipment Manufacturer) or domestic, I chose the OEM to retain the "original" brands. The replacement took about 40 minutes - no rattles, no leaks and indistinguishable from the original. If your insurance company gives you the choice, I'd advise OEM.

My 2¢ worth.