1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Tips to Upgrade Gen 2 to Gen 3 in NY?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jules C, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Jules C

Jules C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm in New York and I’m in the process of getting my gen 2 prepped for sale and find a used Gen 3 to replace it.

Are there any tips or advice you have on finding a used Gen 3 in the North East or NY?
    Anything about swapping the old gen 2 with a newer Gen 3 at the same time?

Thanks so much,
    J

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe the Gen 2 car will be much more reliable than a 2010-2013 Gen 3 car. Why would you want to get a gen 3?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The only reason i ever looked at a gen 3 for a second was because a woman wanted it the only reason i already owned gen 2 my ex-wife wanted a gen 3 for the solar roof and i don't know the way the front end looked i'm not even sure i took one look at the car and told her yeah i buy it it's your baby you fix it you may spend more time not going anywhere then driving but that will have nothing to do with me do you understand me and i'm glad we got that out of the way very quickly compared to the gen 2 the gen 3 doesn't move in the same circles at any kind of rate. This i would say is a poor decision and the not good handle on your wants desires needs i go through this with my daughter all the time but no matter i wouldn't do it at this stage in my game i also wouldn't pay $8,000 for a mint condition 09 with 135,000 on it but there's one sitting right here and it's almost been sold four times i believe it still has the original hybrid battery or a rebuilt thing it's white leather interior soon as i sit in it there's going to be a stain in the seat so definitely not for me to do gen 3 has been nothing but work for me gen 2 i've had to do nothing but sit in the car and drive what choice would i make again

4. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Skip the G3 and go to G4.

RRxing and Tombukt2 like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    find a gen 3 with the head gasket already replaced (or preferably the whole engine)
    with oil catch can added. change the oil every 5k

6. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes if you get a high-mileage Gen 3, clean the EGR, intake manifold, and throttle body. There are videos on youtube on how to do it. Also, replace all fluids such as coolants, transmission, engine oil. Filters, spark plugs, etc.

Give it a full service.