1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any unsatisfied claims?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hobbit, Apr 4, 2006.

1. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wondering if anyone's purchased the extended warranty
    [via PC or elsewhere] and then had any trouble having a claim
    honored for some reason. In other words, lemme hear your horror
    stories if you've got 'em. Hopefully nobody does!
    _H*

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Apr 4 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]234955[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, not yet. This car is too trouble-free.. and I've only just passed 36K.

3. huncityprius

huncityprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 Prius, it is now 7 months old and I've had a whole host of problems. First it seemed that my dash display lights were not coming on from time to time. Now they disappear at will also my info center has a black line scrolling through it and at times it has been disappearing. I have noticed in the cold weather that the car tends to surge as it changes modes. Is anyone else having these issues or am I the one in a dozen with a lemon???

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your surging in cold weather during shut down and such is normal and it will get better when the engine warms up and as the vehicle breaks in.

Someone else recently posted about a horizontal line on the MFD, but it's an issue I'd not heard of until then.

The dash display may be your dimmer control or it could be a problem with a fuse or connector. Since the car's so new you should be able to get both the MFD and dash things fixed easily.

I don't hear anything to suggest you have a "lemon", but it's certainly possible you have a couple minor issues that the dealer should fix.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a Toyota, not from the big 3. If you have a lemon it's 1 in 500 to 1000, not one in 12.

6. butchbs1985

butchbs1985 Taking things apart is fun!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I bought the extended warranty from Toyota when I purchased my 2005 used. I have never had bad luck with Toyota at all but I was a bit apprehensive about the hybrid system (Didn't find PC soon enough). I'm approaching 92,000 miles so the warranty appears to have been a waste of money. (100 K warranty).

7. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    48,000 miles
    warranty work so far, cost zero
    replace radio (not really needed, cd changer can cause radio to lose presets)
    alignment
    reinstall the power window switches/pad that fell into door handle last week
    a toyota dealer replaced my 12v battery, bad cell

stuff i have actually paid for in 48,000 miles
    some rotations
    some oil changes
    4 toyota wheel ornaments
    window tint
    new set of tires @ 24,000 miles, old ones were worn down
    lots of car wash supplies haha

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to my dealer once to get a wheel alignment under the wheel alignment TSB. My dealer told me that he thought that it still was not covered and that I would have to pay for it. I went back again and told the dealer that the wheel alignment was now expressly warrantied for 12 months/20,000 miles (it says so right in the warranty information booklet). He said he didn't know that.

I read on PriusChat about someone who tried to get his glovebox fixed under the extended warranty. The dealer said it wasn't covered and that the part in question was in fact expressly excluded under the extended warranty. The PriusChatter went back home, did some research and found that the extended warranty expressly included the "glovebox assembly". He looked at the picture of the "glovebox assembly" and saw the part that the dealer had said was expressly excluded. So he went back to the dealer and made his case for a whole new glovebox assembly, and got everything fixed under the extended warranty.

I think the morals of the stories are:

1. The basic warranty and extended warranty are frequently unclear and ambiguous about what's included and what's excluded.

2. Dealers frequently don't know what they're talking about and/or they flat out lie.

3. If something goes wrong with your Prius, one should research the problem, including the exact language of the basic warranty and extended warranty, and be prepared to argue your case to the dealer.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So far the horror stories are mostly the predictable ones: namely, not recovering the cost of the extended warranty :_>

10. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Had a window that had a mind of its own.... bad module deep in the dash.. cost 800.00 to fix and the part was special ordered, but under normal warranty.. I haven't had to use the extended yet.