1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Updates to LiFePo For 12V Auxiliary Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rardi, Dec 4, 2014.

1. rardi

rardi New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello All:

First of all, an apology. After joining today and then exploring PriusChat, I noticed that the GEN1 models 2001-2003 aren't a main feature. Maybe not too many still out there? But my question I expect would also apply to Gen2 owners.

Although new to this forum, I am not new to my Prius. Original owner for 15 years this month! Only 82k on the ODO. I have replaced the main HV battery. So I am hoping for quite a few more years on the thing.

I did do a search for the topic in the title I gave to this post. But I only noticed the last discussion was back in July. And no real outcome to it. So maybe somebody now has experience?

That is: Has anyone bought/installed a LiFePo 12v battery to replace the auxiliary battery for any of the Prius generations? Here is a link to the one that has caught my attention.

The amp hour rating and the CCA ratings are certainly enough for secondary battery duty. Slightly higher capacity than the original which came with my Prius and also equals the two 35ah AGM that have both eventually gone dead. The LiFePo battery has monitoring circuits to keep it safe. And it will cut off if the voltage falls below a threshold. The size is diminutive compared to a Pb battery.

I did call Battery Tender. The "technical" guy I think wouldn't deviate from the official line that their batteries are designed only to replace normal batteries for small recreational craft such as jet skis, motorcycles, atf's, lawn tractors etc.

At only $50 or so more than the yellow top Optima which seems to be a favorite now for the 12V replacement, I am attracted to the idea!

A concern that I might have is whether my Prius' charge voltage is enough. I have read, and also measured, that Gen1's put out 13.6-13.7 volts to charge rather than the 14.4v of most vehicles . (Might be a reason why the auxiliary battery life has been disappointing for early generation Prius owners.) It's not on Battery Tender's spec sheet, but I have noticed on other battery manufacturers sites that +/-14.v is the spec. I am wondering if 13.7v is enough.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

rardi

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    At less than 7k miles a year your going to need a "battery tender" to keep the 12v in good shape. Your not driving enough to keep it charged.

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    rardi | PriusChat

Welcome to Prius Chat!

Agreed - 82K is not much driving. I am over 16K now and have been driving this new Prius for 9 months.

Interesting little battery. Will probably work fine in the Prius as long as the charging system works with the lithium chemistry.

Doesn't take much juice to boot up a Prius. Question is whether or not the DC to DC converter will work properly with a lithium based battery rather than the traditional AGM type battery that is used in the Prius.

Let us know if you do install it and how it works out.

Ron (dorunron)

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do know that the Gen II puts out 14.4V when the 12V is low, and drops to 13.5-13.8V when the 12V is at a good charge level.

PS, Gen I discussion is here (a sub forum of the Gen II forum): Generation 1 Prius Discussion.

5. rardi

rardi New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the comments so far. Although the LiFePo concept is attention grabbing, $225 or so is the cost for what still amounts to an experiment. The on-board computer system on my car is finicky re the 12v battery's condition. If it senses the battery isn't up to snuff, it will even prevent the car from running for long after a successful jump start.

Even if a LiFePo battery is functioning per its design, it is possible the Prius's on board monitoring algorithym might baulk at something it detects is different from the lead-acid profile.

I still need to wait until someone has actually tried and found success with LiFePo. If it doesn't work on my Prius, I don't have another use for the battery.

#5 rardi, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does it physically fit, and have the correct posts?

7. rardi

rardi New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bisco: The BatteryTender LiFePo is about half the dimensional size of the original battery. So yes will fit. But I would need to brace it differently. Re the posts, I have already modified my car from the OEM fittings for my prior two replacement batteries which were different from the original. This mod looks like it would work also for the LiFePo.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent, thanks!