1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any warning signs a gen3 hybrid battery is failing?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mjkcal, Apr 21, 2021.

1. mjkcal

mjkcal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2010 Prius has 119k miles. Though it currently runs well, I've read that the hybrid battery lifespan is 100k-150k mi. I want to keep it as long as possible. Are there any symptoms/signs that the hybrid battery is failing? If so, would you recommend that I replace the hybrid battery when the car starts to exhibit those signs, or wait until they reach a certain severity?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Wait for the obvious signs. Clear signs are the hv battery charge bar graph goes from decent to low at a traffic light. It may go so low that the engine is lugging or pinging as you start moving again. If you are over 175k miles and live in a hot climate, its days are numbered. But the number might be 300-700 days, not tomorrow. Rarely will a hv battery strand you. An inverter might. A water pump might.

In the meantime clean your battery fan again. Toyota Master mechanics recommend this. Not expensive chargers for hv batteries or whack a mole module replacements, regardless if Dorman does it with a fresh paint job or you do it in the driveway.

#2 rjparker, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  3. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To see what the 'obvious signs' might be, go to this page for more information: HybridAutomovieFAQ.

This is a page from Hybrid Automotive, which produces the Prolong battery reconditioning system. I have a 2010 Prius IV with lower mileage than yours, which showed some of these signs, so I obtained one of his reconditioning systems, which appears to work quite well. Cheaper than a new battery, and far less work.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i said the same in the past, got poo poo’d. Waiting for those people to reply.

5. mjkcal

mjkcal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    (1) So glad you mentioned the hv battery fan! I hadn't even known about needing to clean that! For any readers who, like me, need to learn how, Nuts & Bolts has a good YouTube video on "2010-2015 Toyota Prius HV Battery fan cleaning"

(2) Since I changed the inverter coolant & engine coolant at 100k mi, the next flush is due at 150k. As a preventive, I am also planning to replace the engine water pump then. Is that reasonable? Is there some time when it would be wise to replace the inverter water pump as a preventive, too?

#5 mjkcal, Apr 21, 2021
  6. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "i said the same in the past, got poo poo’d. Waiting for those people to reply."

YMMV :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Not so sure I would change them preemptively at 150k but its your choice. From what I have read, there are counterfeit "oem" pumps out there that fail too quickly. So I might consider shopping the online Toyota dealers for a genuine pump even though they are pricey. The key is don't drive further if your temp alerts come up. Unless your safety at the time is more important.

8. mjkcal

mjkcal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Informative website! Thanks for adding that you have had success with a Prolong Battery reconditioning sys. Definitely worth checking into.

#8 mjkcal, Apr 21, 2021
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It’s by @NutzAboutBolts. There’s a thread pinned in 3rd gen maintenance forum linking a bunch of his videos.
    One caveat: they pull out the rear seat bottom, but that’s really not necessary, and might break some retainer tabs. There’s a a single bolt in behind the seat cushion needing to be removed, but it can be reached with extensions on a ratchet wrench. IIRC the socket size is 12 mm. Just push apart the seat and back and reach through. Be very careful not to drop it; unscrew tho bolt with one hand and hold it with your other hand. A head band light helps.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    150-200

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would start the prolong conditioning now

12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    More appropriate to think in terms of time instead of distance.

You'll be losing that battery between tomorrow and 2026. The management system has been designed to absorb minor flaws, so it isn't going to notify you until it's already time.

So far, "Watch for the triangle; have $3k ready" has worked. More notice and overall cheaper results? Still in development.

14. mjkcal

mjkcal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the correction that it's NutsAboutBolt (not '&'), as well as the extremely helpful tips on how to get to the HV fan.

Mendel Leisk likes this.