1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any washington buyers purchasing in Oregon?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Jan 8, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do the Oregon dealers now handle the washington sales tax at purchase when dealing with a washington buyer?

They charged exactly 8.1% of the final msrp as "other charges", but they vow they are the washington sales taxes that they now handle at the dealership.

The only thing that makes me nervous is they "Say" its the tax, but on the purchase order its listed as "other charges".

I just don't want any surprises upon pickup...... I hope they are not dumb enough to try and pull a fast one!

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Dealers on both sides of the Columbia are used to working with buyers from the other state.

An Oregon dealer can't list the charge as Sales Tax since we don't have one, so it has to be an "other charge". The dealer will take care of contacting the Washington motor vehicles division to register the sale and get you your license plates, and it'll also pay your sales tax to the revenue department. Legally, when you purchase any item in Oregon, you should pay the sales tax on that purchase to the state of Washington. Washington will get its $2K+.

The reverse is also true. When I got my Silver Cloud at Vancouver Toyota, as soon as they knew I was from Oregon and the car would be registered there, they never mentioned sales tax. When I bought some locking lug bolts from the parts department, I told them I was from Oregon and they charged no tax, but I had to sign a statement that the purchase would be used in Oregon.

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

thanks Bill..... It looks like I will end up with 2 prius's before all this is over.... one my wife was kinda interested in became available and so we decided to get it too!...

I admit I'm a bit paranoid.. but you have to be dealing in business...... your words did bring some comfort.... they tried to pull a few things that I wouldn't allow, so I'm watching them with both eyes.

That sales tax really stings!.. almost 2400.00 worth!... at least I get to write it off.... Whats bad is my wife works over there and gets tax taken out too.... so we get it on both ends..... but thats the game... oh well.. its only money right?
    thanks alot...

4. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And What Eyes!

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Now don't start teasing me again! :wub:

6. CarlosV

CarlosV Junior Member

Thanks for bringing up the topic.
    I just got a call this morning from my Oregon dealer that my car will arrive in port next week. I live in the Seattle area and had been waiting for my order from a local dealer since 2 months ago, and had just gotten news that I had to wait longer, maybe 2-3 more months. I was exploring priuschat for advice and found someone here who had gone through the same situation and not wanting to wait longer, he emailed all dealers around his area and found a car within a day, @ msrp.
    I will pick up my car and drive it back to Seattle once it is ready. Now I know the answer to the tax and registration questions I had. Any other info regarding an out of state car purchase would greatly be appreciated?

Thanks,
    Carlos

7. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unlike Windstrings, who's just across the river, you're a ways away from your dealer. Make sure they have your plates sent to your home and not back to them. Many dealers automatically have all plates come back from the motor vehicle department to them, so they can get you back in and install them for you. The dealer can mail them to you, of course, but your temporary tag may expire first with all the mailing. Better to have the department of motor vehicles send you the plates directly.

And in the mean time you can shop for bolts and covers and frames, etc. :)

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    might want to talk to hdrygas who bought his car out of state and brought it back. generally the seller does not collect sales tax. it is paid when registering the vehicle in WA

9. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Dave, did you read Windstrings' first post?

The OREGON dealer collected 8.1% extra which will go to WASHINGTON state. They didn't call it Sales Tax on the invoice since OREGON doesn't have one. Portland area dealers collect and pay WASHINGTON sales tax if the car will be registered in WASHINGTON. They also register the car with the WASHINGTON motor vehicle department.

This is a common border experience. If hdrygas purchased his car in a state not contiguous with his own, the dealer wouldn't have the proper forms.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya, i saw that. but WA state sales tax aint 8.1%. can only guess that they either verified his county or city tax or are guessing. it appears to be low to me. maybe not. i do know that its no where near that cheap anywhere around here

11. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Just to put another oar in the water: I bought my 2005 Prius through a broker from a Salem, OR dealer, and had it shipped up here to Washington.

Details here, but the Oregon dealer charged me MSRP and that was it -- no Washington sales tax.

However, the broker (who is also a WA dealer) and I headed over to the WA licensing division when my Prius came in (it was the car's first trip on its own power!) and wrote two checks out to WA: a big one for registration and sales tax (think they call it "use tax"), and a small one for the plates.

12. Midori

Midori New Member

Long time reader--first time poster...

Was poking around on the WA .gov sites and found that military members with WA home of record are exempt from the use tax...anyone have any experience with this situation?

Don't think I'll be waiting until 2009 (?)javascript:emoticon(':huh:') when the use tax exemption for hybrids goes into effect.

13. johnnieliu

johnnieliu New Member

Registration is done at the OR dealership. They can register the car in OR if you are a OR resident or WA if you are a WA resident. Depending on where the car is registered, the dealership WILL collect sales tax if the car is WA registered.

We bought an 04 RX330 from Lexus of Portland a couple of years ago, and that is what they did. The WA plates went to the dealership, but we pre-scheduled our 1 month service during delivery, so we picked up our plates then. Otherwise, I would have had the dealership mail me the plates.

For whatever reason, I've never had good luck dealing with WA dealers. I like them OR dealers much better.

Good Luck.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok so its as i said. taxes are paid at the time of registration. considering mine was like $1800, unless you have that kind of cash laying around, you might have to convince the OR dealer to register the vehicle so you can talk about rolling that cost into the financing. hate to see someone not able to register the vehicle because they didnt know about it.