1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any way to add SKS to the hatch on a II?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by MikeDS, Aug 9, 2009.

1. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys,

I've had my II for a few weeks now. I'm a musician and often have lots of gear to load in and out of the hatch. I didn't realize the II didn't have 3 door SKS when I bought it since the Gen IIs had it on all models. Being able to open the hatch without fishing for keys when my hands are full would be fantastic. Will Toyota add this to my car after market? If so, is it gonna cost me a huge sum of money?

Thanks!!

Mike

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Nope, no easy aftermarket way... It's been discussed that while probably possible, it will cost quite a bit to do...

3. reverai

reverai New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish one could but based on reading this web site, it's very unlikely that one can add smart keys functions to a non smart key Prius. Of course, if I'm wrong about this, I'm sure there will be many other posts correcting me. It's rather sad that Toyota doesn't have some kind hardware upgrade path for the Prius other than purchasing a new Prius as this has come up several times since I've started reading the web site.

Steve

4. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, that sucks...haha...its probably the only feature I wish I had of all the goodies available...that and lumbar support!! hah...

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm guessing that it's a fairly simple modification. Mostly a research project.

The Gen2 Certification ECU (3-door SKS computer) has unused pins with names that sound like they would control a 5-door SKS system. Like some Lexus use. So there's probably one Certification ECU for all Toyota/Lexus systems, maybe including the 2010. The difference between the Gen2 Prius 3-door SKS and the Lexus 5-door SKS is probably that the Prius is missing the back door oscillators and SKS door handles.

So if the stars all line up, you'll need to add an outside hatch oscillator. If the wiring is missing, then you'll have to add it. And the trunk latch probably needs to be switched. The oscillator can probably be supplied from a junkyard Gen2.

My biggest worry would be that there might be some way that the Certification ECU is initialized to support a particular number of oscillators. There could be a wiring jumper, or a scan tool setup that has to be done to modify the number of supported doors. About the only way to actually find out is to try it and see if it works or not. Woody, got your ears turned on? (imwoody36 is "the prius parts guy". You may want to contact him at Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV)

6. imwoody36

imwoody36 the prius parts guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks to an off list question by Seth, I have looked into the problem.
    I believe RobH is right, a door oscillator may be installed for added functionality.
    I will look into this upgrade as soon as I get my hands on a smashed up genIII.
    The last one I tried to purchase went over 9100 with 10k dollars in damage to it.

I expect it will be many weeks until I can post results.... anybody else ?

1 person likes this.