1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any way to cover fabric accents on door and center armrest?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by TheNewGuy8, May 5, 2011.

1. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know yet if I'll be getting a Gen 2 or Gen3, but my question is this: In the Gen3 fabric version the absolute worst part of it is the fabric used to cover the center armrest and the accents on the doors. It's atrocious.

I know the seats can be covered with aftermarket leather that looks basically like factory. How about the center armrest and doors? Any way to cover those with leather?

Thanks!

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you get a model with factory leather seats, those areas are simulated leather, not fabric. And the steering wheel is leather wrapped.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But the fabric does wear well and cleans up easily.

4. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe that's why they did it - I can't fathom another reason. Does no one else have their skin crawl when they touch it? It's absolutely hideous to me.

5. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I noticed after buying mine that OTHER models with leather interior like mine on the lot had leather on the door panel inserts ---- but not mine.... So, I asked, to make sure I hadn't been ripped off or shorted somehow... They made some calls while I was standing there, and according to the "powers that be" (for our area in the southeast here), only the IV and V models ALSO have it on the doors (maybe just the V... I have slept since then.) So, that's how I learned all about it. I HATE the fabric on the doors. I can't let my little chihuahua ride with me, cause I'm afraid he will ruin it first thing with his little toenails... So, now it looks like I'm gonna pay the dealership $364 to cover the door panel inserts, also.....

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm sure it was done for cost reasons. The simulated leather has to be more durable (and costly) than the fabric.

7. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The reason is that leather is only available from the factory on the IV and V. Leather on the III is a 'port installed' option, meaning that your car (and mine) came from Japan with cloth seats and Southeast Toyota put the leather seats in after the car arrived in the US. For whatever reason, when they do this they don't don't replace the fabric on the doors.

8. wernolabound

wernolabound Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't like the cloth either but the deal I got on the car justified purchasing it with the cloth even if I bought after market covers. (I did just that) I didn't buy the Package that had leather. I bought in MD outside my SE region. Option packages available thru the dealers were different in MD vs. FL. SE Toyota (read JM Family) appears to work a bit differently. They will add virtually any single option you might want (for a price) on an ordered car. In MD it appeared that you had to buy an entire package. I ended up putting Wet Okole neoprene covers on front and back seats. It came with a cover for the center armrest. They were not cheap but cheaper than the dealer leather options and their appearance and fit are fine. I am still stuck with the darn door panels... My Westie has yet to destoy them but I see a time in the not too distatnt future when I'll need to do something. I hate the "Mouse Fir" too.

9. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I absolutely love the G3 Prius fabric; soft, cleans well and helps absorb road noise. To each his own, however.