1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any way to duplicate the laser cut key (valet key) through locksmith?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by thnok, Jan 4, 2024.

Tags:
  1. thnok

thnok Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I may have lost the physical metal key (got a two but one is missing). Am I able to get a duplicate of the physical key from those machines at Home Depot etc.. or a locksmith without a trip to a dealership?

This is the one I’m referring, 2021 - 2023 Toyota Emergency Uncut Blade Key - High Security

I have both the key fobs, just that one metal key is missing.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sure, if they have the cutting machine. It doesn't cut with lasers; Laser is the brand name.

Or a dealership can sell you one pre-cut, if you have the key code, or look it up for you if you convince them you own the car.

3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would not call it a valet key since all it does is unlock the door. It won't start the car without the fob. The point is you can lock/unlock the door if your fob is inoperable (bad battery or whatever) but you still need the fob to start the car by placing the fob over the power button briefly before pushing the button.

If it was me, I'd let the dealer cut the blank key. You're not talking a ton of money for a blank key and the cutting. The big money is for the new fob and programming to the car. You'll need to take your current key to match of course.

thnok likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At the dealer, they don't have to match your current key; they can cut one from the key code if you have that, or look it up for you if you convince them you own the car.

thnok likes this.