1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any way to get EV Auto to stick after power cycle?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by EspressoFueled, Feb 6, 2017.

1. EspressoFueled

EspressoFueled Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It appears Toyota has made EV the default mode every time you power on the Prime and it always reverts back to it if there is battery power. So if I'm driving the car in EV Auto and power off, when I start the car again, it is back to EV mode and I need to hit the EV Auto button again. Every time...

This is annoying because I'd rather EV Auto be the default mode and not EV. I want the car to use both the engine and the electric motor if I stomp on the gas pedal for faster acceleration when I might unexpectedly need it (in regular EV mode, the engine isn't supposed to turn on even if you floor it).

I haven't made it all the way through the 700+ page manual yet, does anyone know if this setting can be changed so the last chosen engine mode "sticks" through subsequent power ons?

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried flooring it?

4. bboeri

bboeri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a similar problem: until recently, my 2013 plugin Prius always defaulted to HV-EV mode. Now it starts up in EV mode. I don't like the change since I prefer to switch on EV when driving slowly, not highway speeds. How to return to HV-EV by default? Am afraid that EV mode at highway speeds will shorten battery life.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it must have been broken and fixed itself. all pips start in ev mode.

btw, there's a little button to the right of the shifter that says HV. you don't have to drive on the freeway in ev mode, or anywhere for that matter.

6. bboeri

bboeri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 3 buttons: HV/EV, ECO, and PWR mode. Setting the HV/EV toggel to HV doesn't change the new "default" from EV default (which isn't what I want). Used to default to ECO mode.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're confused. hv/ev have nothing to do with eco and power.

pip always defaults to ev on start up.

eco/normal/power will default to where you left it when shutting down.

hv/ev is hybrid vehicle mode (engine and small amount of battery like a regular prius) or electric vehicle mode (all battery unless engine is required)

power/normal/eco are just throttle pedal settings and hvac adjustments.

it's all in the manual.

8. memasterac

memasterac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If your batteries have enough, it will always starts at EV

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Focus groups dictated that starting and staying in EV was preferred over the blended mode (PiP) or EV Auto (Prime) even though that's more energy efficient.

Toyota made the change to please the market that wanted an EV driving experience.

Short answer: No.

motch6 and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  10. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Isn't that really conditional. Ev Auto is not more energy efficient if you won't ever need more power than EV could deliver for your day. I have driven the last 6 weeks exclusively in EV mode. EV Auto would have been far less efficient if it had started the engine at all. Admittedly for certain longer trips and such, it would have been good if I had switched sooner to EV Auto but I think which is more efficient depends on your usage pattern for that day.

That said, it is unfortunate that Toyota decided to be heavy handed and force a default on everyone rather than allowing it to be configured like 5 dozen other minor settings you can set.

11. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Agreeing. I can understand how, based on focus groups, Toyota would make EV Mode the default startup mode. But what would be the harm in providing an option to make EV Auto the startup mode?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wouldn't the engine come on?

13. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ev auto is the one mode I've never once selected. Can't see the point. I use Ev when I know I'm going to make my destination without running out of range, and I select Hv on my own when I know I won't. Simple.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not? If you won't ever need more power than EV Drive mode could deliver, then EV Auto probably would've stayed in EV Drive mode as well. It's more efficient to use the engine if you're climbing a mountain (say to a local ski hill or to your cabin) or accelerating hard to merge on the highway from a low speed (e.g. 10-20mph) than it is to do those things in EV Drive mode in terms of overall efficiency.

However, the favoured operation is to remain in EV Drive mode (the irony is lost on those folks when it comes to PHEVs). That being said, at least you have the ability to experience what it is like to drive an EV in EV Drive mode.

Well part of it is marketing (it's the only other vehicle than the Volt that operates this way) and it's also because of the EPA testing. (The acceleration part that caused the PiP to start the engine and get a reduced AER)

Yeah that would be nice if it EV Drive or EV Auto were stickied (like ECO or normal mode). But I wonder what the implications are for EPA testing since the EPA test has to run in a default mode set by the manufacturer.

15. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I drive on the highway up a monster hill to and from work. It takes just over a minute at 65 to clear the hill and then it is clear sailing the rest of the way in both directions (down the other side of the hill and such). I pay $0.083 per kwh for my electricity (solar panels estimated price) so for me doing a total of 20 miles of driving a day 100% EV mode, it is far more efficient to stay in EV mode than it would be to run the engine to get up the hill then for another 3 miles to complete the warmup of the engine while I am gliding down the hill. During the warmup the engine is far from efficient, running at a pretty high clip even while I am essentially coasting down a hill.

Again it depends on driving pattern and dynamics of your path. For some folks EV Auto would be a good blend of efficiency and performance, but for others not so much. Not only that, EV tends to get me over the hill without feeling like I have to grind the pedal into the carpet, while HV feels like I really have to drive the pedal down.

Admittedly, overall vehicle efficiency may be higher if I had a longer drive and did the hill in HV mode, but given the distance I have to travel and the fact I arrive home with 10 miles left of EV, it just doesn't seem to be a good change for me. Come winter however, that will all change as I can't clear the hill in EV mode when it is cold outside. Knowing that, it would probably be more efficient overall if I started in HV mode or EV Auto and warmed up before I hit the hill.

breakfast and Tideland Prius like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so, when you press the power button to make the car ready, is it that much work to press hv, or ev auto if you want?

17. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think it comes down to the desire to get in and drive. I get in, I turn the car on and put it in gear to go. Adding extra buttons to push to make the car go in a special way doesn't tend to be right on the top of my list. I don't have to push the button for the car to work, just to make it as efficient as I would like it to be. That said, I would still advocate for Toyota to allow for defaults to be set that match common usage pattern for the owner, rather than dictating a specific default that has to be overridden every time you get into the car.

In some way I would equate it to the amount of screaming I do when I get into the car after having it serviced. Every single time, they turn off my auto headlights, reset every conceivable trip meter for no reason, adjust various other settings that I have to try to remember and put back. It is annoying that for me to get the car back to the function I want, I have to go through these steps. And that is just once every 6 months, so having to set something that seems like it should be able to be defaulted, every time I got into the car, would probably start to grate on my nerve after a while. Now if the EV Auto button would start the car, I would just push that button if I wanted that feature rather than some other start button. But how confusing would that be?

But for me it is perfect because the default is the one I want 98% of the time. And the 2% I tend to remember to unset it before I have burned too many EV miles.

bisco likes this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should really ask them about resetting stuff. They shouldn't need to touch anything (unless you're replacing the 12V).

My dealership used to reset the Trip ODO which was annoying cause I kept track of mileage but they have since stopped that practice.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some peeps tape a big sign to the steering wheel.

20. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My problem is by the time I go back, I have stopped fuming about it :D . So I forget to again ask them to stop resetting things. I only had service done back in June so it is still fresh at the moment, but by the time I go back in December, I will be thinking more about Christmas than telling them not to touch my headlights or press every trip odometer button. I think that they have to reset from the main mileage meter to reset the service reminder, but still they need to stop resetting my trips. Maybe I will learn the secret sauce to reset the maintenance minder so I can reset that before having them service it.