1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any way to increase ground clearance?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tuck14, Jan 20, 2006.

1. tuck14

tuck14 New Member

I travel on gravel roads now and then driving to trailheads. Is there anyway to temporarily increase ground clearance to prevent the Prius from bottoming out when the road gets rough?

2. Brian K

Brian K New Member

Tuck, I'm not saying you are, but if one drives in the ruts left by others that'll get the bottom scraped.

If you can put your tires on the high spots of the "W" formed by others tires it may help.

I normally drive on gravel roads in search of the perfect photo and haven't had problems. But I understand it isn't a 4x4 and there are some places I just won't go. I've driven 60 miles out of my way because I wouldn't take a chance crossing something the 4x4 would have crossed in (literally) 5 seconds. Spin the Prius tires and it has no sympathy.

3. CraigCSJ

CraigCSJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Try increasing pressure in tires to 44.

CraigCSJ 04 Driftwood #9BC

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Larger tyres maybe?

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I once had a Subaru with a button on the dash that increased its clearance by a couple of inches. Great, until one of the air shocks died. Then it was just expensive.

The Prius isn't a cross-country 4x4. You can go a lot of places if you're careful, but deep wilderness isn't one of them. Maybe get a HiHy?

6. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 New Member

lolz...the only thing you can really do is "pimp your ride" and get some hydraulics :p Then you can raise it as high as you damn want !!

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do what I do and rent a 4x4. I refuse to take a chance and ruin expensive parts.

There was a thread 3-4 months back of a forum member who encountered hurricane debris on the road, either in Florida or Alabama, forget which. Thought he could clear the obstruction, loud noise instead. I think it was a street light standard laying on the road.

Turns out he cracked the magnesium CVT case, and that was *very* expensive.

I tried to do a search and it returned a database error.