1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any way to operate the vehicle fobless (no remote) ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bobjeri, Jul 7, 2005.

1. bobjeri

bobjeri New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our 05 package 4 has the Smart Key system.

During the summers we work as Rangers at Mt Rainier and the Olympic National Parks. We park at a trail head and may be in the backcountry for up to 10 days -- sometimes in a cabin or wall tent and sometimes not.

Rather than carry the fob and risk breaking or getting it wet in the wonderful Pacific North Wet's finest, we would like to leave home without it.

Another thread seemed to indicate there maybe fob battery-life and legal problems leaving the fob in the car, which we would not do anyway as it appears the fob will start the car with or without the integrated key.

The owner's book doesn't seem to have anything on this.

This is a great and helpful site - thanks for any help.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:8acbe9b0ee]Sorry, the engine immobilizer will keep the car from running without the fob that belongs with that engine. The little key only opens the driver's door, nothing more. You can turn off SKS with the switch under the steering column, which will require the key. Even if the fob's battery goes dead, you can insert it into the dash and the car will power the fob enough to confirm it's the right fob and let you start the engine.

On the other hand, the fob is small and lightweight, ideal for backpacking...[/font:8acbe9b0ee]

3. bobjeri

bobjeri New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Bill.
    No is the answer I expected but not, of course, the one I wanted.

4. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I worked in detailing at the Toyota dealer and before that the Volvo dealer, the paint protection offered to new car buyers cost us from our supplier around 25$. Rust proofing cost even less. When I bought my Prius the Finance guy wanted 665$ for paint protection and 205$ for fabric protectant, 1061$ for vehicle total protection from theft. I know the guys in detail so I went to talk with them.
    They gave me the Paint Protection from Toyota <665$> for a six pack of soda. It had been used on an echo but still had about half the bottle left. It consisted of a paint glaze and a wax along with a bottle of car wash and a bottle of renewing wax. Total cost to the dealer... <I asked> 36$. Their idea of fabric coverage was an aftermarket fabric protectent. They buy it from the detail supplier for 16$ a gallon, dilute it with water, and spray it on your seats. The Total Protection Package <against theft> 1061$ was a mechanical engraver and your drivers licence engraved into the glass on your Prius. Their most expensive items are the rubber silicone spray... they spray it on the tires and rubber parts to make them look shiny, and the renewing wax and paint brightener for used cars.
    They salary the detailers and those guys hump all the time. They never get a break and rarely make more then 10$ an hour. It is all pure profit on top of the inflated interest rates they offer to buyers who don't know better and the sugested retail they charge for the car.
    Do yourself a favor and buy a good wax and use it 3 times a year. If you are worried about your fabric buy some scotchguar* and spray the entire interior.
    -Paul R. Haller-

5. bobjeri

bobjeri New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will try to stay humble but by Jove I think I've got it.

This morning in response to an overnight brain flame grabbed an empty metal Altoids box were I placed the extra Smart Card. Put the Altoids box in back and relocked everything and walked away.

Came back used the conventional key to open, grabbed the Altoids boxed Smarty and started the car.

Apparently the metal box blocks the Smart Card to vehicle connecton signals which allows the vehicle to be locked and started.

6. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:09a969c4cf]Maybe I misunderstood your initial question. I thought you were asking if there was any way to operate your Prius without the fob. Perhaps I was mislead by "we would like to leave home without it."

It's quite possible to lock the car with the fob inside, using a radio-signal-shield like your Altoids tin, or even leaving the fob out in the open. If you are going to leave the fob in the car while you backpack, may I suggest removing the battery from the fob and then hiding the fob someplace. Most car theives, after breaking a window to get in, won't know to look for the fob, and since it's not got a battery, they would have to find it and stick it in the dash to power up the car.

The fob is pretty waterproof; someone here mentioned sending it through a washing machine with no deleterious effect. Your car will be more safely immobilized if you take the fob for a hike.

I stand by my first reply: you need the fob to drive to the trailhead.[/font:09a969c4cf]

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobjeri\";p=\"105493)</div>
    Been discussed before, shield it and the car can't find it. On the other hand, you might as well just drop it in the console and turn off the SKS with the switch under the steering wheel. Same effect and you would be doing that to save your 12V anyway :) Of course you might want to hide/disguise it really well no matter where you put it, people have been known to break into cars left at trail heads, even for only a few hours.

Just don't lose the small key or you will be breaking a window to get to the fob.

8. bobjeri

bobjeri New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again Bill and others.

The unstated stategy shifted to hiding an extra in case the carried one was lost when I couldn't operate the car without a fob. Essentially lost keys.

Will de-paint the box and scruff it up; remove identifiers from the fob and wrap it and a few fuses in Saran wrap; toss in a few small hose clamps and terminals and a $10 or 20 bill for distraction into the box. Put it and a few tools in the 'secret' cargo area and a plastic door key outside it somewhere.

The laundry comment was reassuring - spouse screws that up from time to time. It makes the notion of carrying it in a backpack more acceptable.

Damm - this was to be my car and she's taken it and I'm stuck with the Outback or 4x4.

9. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:a1a05661e6]Ahh, it becomes clearer... If you remove the fob battery from your "extra" fob, there's even less liklihood someone will drive off with your car. The thief would have to know about Prii and inserting the fob in the dash.

Check out Sufferin' Prius Envy's signature.[/font:a1a05661e6]

10. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wonder what the stats are on stolen Prii. Around here, Prii are so rare that a stolen Prius would be spotted by the cops as soon as it appeared on the road. Might not even make it to the chop shop.