1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any way to tell when your car was manufactured?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bcool, Nov 19, 2004.

1. bcool

bcool New Member

Is there any site that will tell you the date of manufacture for your car?

I just took delivery of my 2005 last Friday, and the dealer told me it arrived in Portland a couple of weeks earlier.

However, my VIN number ends with 000835....that sounds like the 835th one made for the model year.

Any thoughts on this? Could #835 have been shipped this late?

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There should be a sticker on the edge of the Driver Door giving the month of manufacture.

I don't know how to get the day :)

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, the plate on the body where the driver's door closes has LOTS of info, including month and year of mfg, not the day though.

1 person likes this.
  4. bcool

bcool New Member

I checked the door & it said 10/04. #835 still seems pretty low for having shipped at the end of October.

Oh, well, I guess I'll never know :)

Maybe it got pulled from the line and held for quality control or something? Or maybe a Toyota worker got to take it home for a demo before they shipped it here (disconnecting the odometer first, of course).

Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist or anything, but it reminds me of the time I bought a brand new 1986 Grand Am. When I left the dealership and started to head home, I noticed the speedometer wasn't working. I turned around & went back to the dealer and they took it right in to service & "fixed" it. To this day I swear they intentionally disconnected it so that they could use it as a demo and still sell it as new. In fact, if I remember correctly, around that time some dealers in my area were accused of doing just that.