1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Windows Vista converts out there?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ozyran, May 17, 2007.

1. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Ok, I'm building a new desktop (Ma doesn't have a computer yet, so I'm taking the opportunity to give her my good rig and build an AMD 65nm dual-core rig for ourselves :D). I haven't completely decided between installing XP on the new machine or installing Vista. I like the looks of Vista, but I'm hearing all kinds of "conspiracy theories" (Vista is going to strip away your user privileges; Microsoft will pick and choose which programs to delete; Windows Genuine advantage may mark your genuine copy of Vista as pirated; Vista is code-intensive and overloads the CPU, et cetera and et cetera.) and I have also heard good reports. I've done some searching through the threads and found nothing about this. I was wondering if anyone here on PC has converted from XP to Vista, and what your thoughts are after converting to Vista.

~oz

2. orionll

orionll Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want to run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor before you get Vista. It will tell you if programs or hardware have known compatibility issues. When you choose the upgrade option from a Windows Vista install disk it will tell you if there are any programs hat might not be compatible with Vists. You cannot do a clean install of Vista with an upgrade DVD. Unless you use a loophole. A trick is that you install vista without a product key (don't enter the product key select the version of Windows you got) then it will permit a clean install. After that you can insert the Vista install disk and select upgrade. I found loophole myself. You can install XP x64 then while running XP x64 run the Vista install and then it will tell you that you cannot upgrade from a 64 bit so it permits you to do a clean install. I have done both of these procedures and they have worked fine.

Hope this helps! :)

Orion

3. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I recently bought a laptop that came with Vista and after about two weeks went back to XP. There were several programs that I had that wouldn't work with Vista (some video software) and the audio driver was horrible. Speedwise it didn't seem to be significantly slower. The Aero interface was nice and had some neat tricks, but in the end felt like they were just tricks and didn't improve the useability. Also, since some of the ways of doing things were different, it had a little bit of a learning curve. And really, if I wanted to spend time learning a different way of doing things, I would rather spend my time learning Linux better.

The idea of permissions was nice, but I could getting really annoyed with that after awhile and just being careful with XP with up-to-date spyware and virus software seems to suffice. All in all, I don't plan on going back to Vista anytime soon. I don't think it is horrible by any means, just software and driver support not up to par yet.

4. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    well the sweet spot for xp was 2Gb of memory. Vista has upped that to 4GB,

I have Vista Ult installed on a system with a AMD FX-60 and 2Gb of mem... I am thinking of format restalling XP PRO. Just too much overhead for my taste.

A Lenovo Z61p came with xp with a (for $9.95) upgrade to Vista Bussiness. I might try that... but again only 2Gb of memory.

I do know that the fx-60 had sooooooo many user had to hunt and peck to find vista supported drivers... made me think back to the OS wars between Windows and OS/2 with MS telling you, "But, you can't find drivers for OS/2" well its 2007 and I have more hardware support on OS/2 than I do Vista :)

If it were me... I would install Win XP pro at SP2 and wait on the fence.

good luck

5. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ May 17 2007, 10:10 PM) [snapback]444586[/snapback]</div>
    I have 2 HP PCs with XP. The newest one has XP-Media Center 2005. I had it built with 2 GB of desktop ram and 3 GB Pentium D 830 processor. I like XP, but I know about 10 people who have Vista Home Premium version and love it. Run the Window's advisor tool and view the report. I do know that Vista loves lots of desktop ram & processor.

My older PC could run Vista, but it only has 512 MB of desktop ram and a non Pentium P-4 processor. I am very hesitant about installing Vista in that machine. Vista is the new OS and most new PC's have it. I also have been told that it's very user friendly, has improved security, and lots of nice features. In this month's issue of Cosumer Reports they wrote about Vista.

My thing is I like new computer softwares especially if they're user friendly. I recently bought Office 2007 & it's also nicer than 2003. I have not heard anything bad about Vista. Go for it if you like "new and different".

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My parents got it when they replaced their old computer. They think it sucks.

7. jrmgkia

jrmgkia Wish I was cycling

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My experience with Vista hasn't been too great, I already own a Mac and everything about Vista feels like a rip off of Mac OS X. I have also found that even with 2GB of RAM the hard drive access light is almost always on and my battery life is pretty bad. I'm not a Mac zelot and I must admit that Office 2007 is a surprisingly good and innovative product considering it came out of Microsoft, I have especially liked Powerpoint 2007 and even Word has a number of improvements. But over all I feel like Apple's ads sum up my experience with Vista. http://www.apple.com/getamac

8. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've actually got a Vista install DVD here (I get it for a very inexpensive price through my school's employee plan). But picking it up was more in the nature of "planning for the future" when programs requiring Vista actually start coming out.

I have no plans to actually install it until the last possible second. There's just no reason to.

9. indiepants

indiepants New Member

I've had vista installed for a few days now. My recommendation: wait for SP1.

I was about to reinstall XP on my system and figured I may as well make the move to vista. There haven't been any huge issues, just lots of small things here and there.

1) my wireless mouse gets very laggy when the cpu is being hit hard
    2) lots of random, unexplained, and long pauses--sometimes you'll open a folder and wait, wait, wait, wait before anything happens
    3) vista power management BLOWS. recovering successfully from standby is about a 50/50 chance--when it doesn't work sometimes my keyboard won't function, the network connection doesn't reestablish, or other nonsense.
    4) shutting down sometimes takes forever, especially right at the beginning of the process--so you're not sure if anything is even happening.

These things don't happen *all* the time--just enough to be annoying. Btw, XP pre-SP1 was no picnic either.

I should note that all the leg-humping security features can be turned off. You don't need them anyway. MS should ship vista with a cheap NAT router and a pamphlet entitled "101 Ways to Find Malware. Now don't do it." That worked for my parents--it should work for anyone.

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have a new HP Pavilion dv9000 which came with Vista. It's a buggy piece of crap software compared to XP sp2. Definitely before its time. I totally agree, let others suffer what seems to be a beta2 period. This thing slows, freezes or crashes more on a daily basis than my XP sp2 desktop does running for months between restarts.

The Aero feature is nothing but flash . . . oooh, look at thaaaaaat . . . Ok, now I'm over it . . . what's it really good for? . . . besides bleeding over onto the window which you are working on! <_< )

Of course it came with all the request trial bloatware you don't want. The bloatware tries to update itself - which then causes Vista to ask for permission at the most inappropriate times. Aaaagggghhhh!

I really wonder about Viast's overhead on the cpu and hard drive. The Core2 cpus bounce around from 2, 5, 8, 15, 40% and the hard drive just clicks away in what should be an idle mode of doing basically nothing.

I'd wait before "upgrading" prematurely.

11. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Ok, thanks for your input, everyone. I'm gonna go with the resounding majority that says to, 'wait before upgrading.' I've had a good experience with Windows XP, but I didn't start really using it until early 2005, and I think quite a few of the big bugs had been worked out by then.

My experience has been, so far, that it's not normally a good thing to get an OS from Microsoft in the first year it's been released. However, I had hoped that it would be different this time around with Windows Vista. I guess not, eh?

12. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm a Computer Engineer and I'm running several computers as well as a Server (at home). Also one is running Linux Ubuntu just to "play" with.... but my "main" desktop" machine (Dell XPS 410) is the only one running MS Windows VISTA (Home Premium) and all the other are running XP PRO !! Remember this, there are many "versions" of Vista and the top of the list, as to speak, for a home user is the "Ultimate", but "Home Premium" which lacks a fax program, a back-up and data encryption that "Ultimate" has, is fine for home use. Sure it is quirky and a bit "buggy" at times......... would I prefer it to a customer over MS Windows XP, probably NOT !! But almost ALL "new" computers come loaded with VISTA, so what ya' gonna do ?? In THAT case, just learn it and live with it..... it's NOT that "bad" as one thinks !! What is strange with VISTA is that if you buy an O.E.M. VERSION, whatever "flavor" of Vista, it is ALWAYS "tied" to that one particular computer. If you swap MB or HD you have to get MS's "permission" (email or phone) as well as send receipts to MS for these "new" (changed) components which will THEN let you install it on another (or newly rebuilt) computer and will THEN allow proper initial VALIDATION.... this is what many people "hate" about OEM Versions of Vista !! It's all about MS trying to completely eliminate "piracy" !! Remember, if you DO decide on Vista, even later as an "upgrade" get a "retail" package and NOT "O.E.M." !!
    By-the-way...... if you are building a computer, load it with MEMORY NOW, like 4 GB.... you won't be sorry later !!

13. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ May 17 2007, 10:10 PM) [snapback]444586[/snapback]</div>
    I have to say I am somewhat chagrined with my upgrade, but I would probably do it anyway if I were to choose it again.

I installed Vista Ultimate (from a download) and the only problems have been:
    1) My scanner no longer works (MicroTek) and they are saying they don't plan to ever upgrade the drivers for my model
    2) My sound cards (Dell Laptops) don't work too well. It pops and cracks every once in a while, and I have tried both Dell's driver updates and the windows updated drivers.
    3) When I was reinstalling some of my programs, about 25% of them needed to be installed with windows XP compatibility turned on. For the average user, this may be beyond their level of expertise. It was annoying, but at least they work now.

Now, after using it for several months, I wouldn't live without it. It was definitely an arduous task to convert, but I love the little conveniences.

My recommendation is to wait if you don't have the time to "learn" it.

I would also recommend that if you choose to install it, get 4GB of ram right away. I would even choose to skimp on another item in order to have this.

My laptops both run with 2GB (which is their max) and 4GB of ReadyBoost ( a feature that allows Vista to use auxiliary memory to boost ram capabilities). It was like night and day when I added the ReadyBoost.

Good luck, and happy building!!!!

14. rik

rik Junior Member

I've been using Vista for 6+ months (as a beta and now when it's final) and I would never go back to XP. The built-in search feature alone is worth it.

I agree with the concensus that you should have a powerful machine, but any reasonable new computer these days is fine.

15. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My two cents (As a computer expert and programmer since the 80's):

- Vista is a hog. It looks great, but all of that comes at the expense of requiring a good processor, lots of ram, and a good video card.

- Security in Vista needs some help... Microsoft locked out the security companies for a very long time - it'll take a while before they figure out all of the "easy" bugs.

- Anything you can do in Vista you can do in XP if you find the right freeware (integrated search? try google desktop...)

- The number of choices for Vista is astounding... Just check out the "choose a vista" add http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/ how do you know which one is right for you?

- Vista is expensive

- No one knows Vista well yet - getting assistance for a problem will be hard.

- There are a ton of compatibility issues with Vista. Programs not working. Drivers not working. Devices not working.

So in short, wait. At least another year.

16. bigmahma

bigmahma New Member

I've been using Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 - and they are amazing products.

I hate using XP at work - Vista is much much much much nicer if you have the computer to run it.

I've been using Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 - and they are amazing products.

I hate using XP at work - Vista is much much much much nicer if you have the computer to run it.

17. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(orionll @ May 17 2007, 10:49 PM) [snapback]444598[/snapback]</div>
    I have a question. Will the loophole work with Vista Home Premium, 32 bit? Thanks.

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I did it in a much easier way. last month i bought three new dual core HP desktops and a linksys N wireless router to upgrade my home network - which gave me 7 years of excellent service. I had Firedog come in and do everything for me including a network capable automatic backup for all my desktops and laptops, network in a 200gig music file, etc.

I also upgraded to Microsoft Office Suite 2007 - which is spectacular - a great upgrade.

Slightly more than four weeks into the flight of Apollo - I love it. I love the new interface. I love how it updates and upgrades itself automatically. I love the security on the system. It has been flawless and imho a significant upgrade over my old system that was running XP Pro.

Two of my three monitors (Viewsonic 22") have built in iPod docking stations! My kids love this - a great great thing to get when / if you are in the monitro market. My other workstation at home has a 24" gateway HD monitor with soundboard - simply magnificent.

In conclusion - I love Vista - but it is early into the flight.

Best of luck.

Q? Do you save that much money building your own system? And I am very impressed you can even do that. Nice work.

19. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I bought a HP DV6205US notebook last month. It came with Vista Home installed, but only 512MB or RAM. It was terribly slow, frustratingly so. I was also getting blue screens of death a lot. I reformatted and installed XP and now it runs great.

To me, Vista offers nothing over XP other than cost and sluggishness.

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm presently dual-booting between XP Home 32-bit and Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I came across the upgrade for 40% off ($150ish) when CompUSA was closing out our local store. I bought it for the sake of getting a decent deal on it and for the "experience". I'm also entitled for up to 2 Home Premium upgrades for $50 each when I feel it's finally time to update the kids PC (read: after SP1),

I've spent more time in Vista lately than in XP because I prefer the Aero interface and I enjoy the new games ;-). I agree it's alot of eye candy and the overhead is significant - my 2GB Athlon X2 4200+ box can sometimes see 1.25GB utilization with a Firefox session, an IM client and 1-2 other programs open.

As an IT professional, I enjoy the updates they've provided to task manager and Event Viewer. Some other things are harder to locate though (control panels, etc.). The defragmenter, while more thorough on the command line, as well as being scheduled to run weekly, now lacks the visual gui representing the fragmentation level of the drive. I've also yet to figure out how to update what's replaced boot.ini to change "Previous Version of Windows" to "Windows XP" in my boot menu.

Although my PC has had many components updated, I still have a few "legacy pieces". Now as to why I haven't fully made the leap, my older Epson Scanner (Perfection 1200U) and PCI modem (older Creative ModemBlaster PCI) are not supported, and there's little chance that they ever will be since they're > 5 years old. Irony there is that I justified the Ultimate version for the built-in scan/fax capabilities. CH Products has yet to release an edition (64bit or otherwise) of their control manager which is vital for some of the games/software I use. However, that's just a matter of time.

As for "bugs", it took 3 tries to install before the installer would complete the task w/o locking up or rebooting. Windows Movie Maker doesn't preview transitions properly (though they render just fine on your final DVD). Sidebar tends to lock up if one of the widgets misbehaves.

Otherwise, I've yet to encounter anything I couldn't run except Nero 6 that I really miss. MS Flight Sim, my G1000 simulator, and my AOPA flight planner all run just fine. OpenOffice works well, and driver support for my most utilized hardware (Canon printer, Logitech mouse, NVidia video card, etc.) is already well established (though I'm sure improving).

I do miss having enough disk space to run Linux as well. I'll probably invest in a new drive so I can put Vista there and regain my Linux partition(s).

I'd say for the "average" user, wait a bit more unless you have all new hardware and software, or it comes on a new PC. If you're a hard-core, bleeding edge techie like me, go for it if you have the spare $$ and the hardware to run it.