1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody comparing the Fusion to the 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mirak, May 11, 2009.

1. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've been really excited about buying a 2010 Prius sometime this fall, but I have to confess: I'm looking at the Ford Fusion Hybrid.

After incentives and tax credits, a "comparably-equipped" Fusion may be at least $1000 cheaper than an Prius V. (I compared a Prius V with no options to a Fusion with leather but no nav.)

The big factor in favor of the Prius, of course, is mpg. I expect to get 55+ in the Prius, assisted by econ mode and my turtle driving habits, whereas I can probably only expect about 40 in the Fusion. And yet, Ford claims the Fusion can actually drive up to 47mph in EV? How's that work?

Also, I love the Toyota brand. My 2006 HighHy has functioned flawlessly. I hear Ford's quality has improved significantly, but I'm skeptical that it beats Toyota.

But the Fusion sppears to have several factors in its favor, too. First, there's the price (at least for now). Second, I think the Fusion looks better, even though the GenIII Prius looks significantly cooler than the GenII.

Third, the Fusion interior looks nicer from the photos, and specs say it's roomier. And a 12-Speaker Sony audio system with USB sync sure sounds cool. Also, the Fusion's instrument panel looks a lot more fun and colorful than the Prius.

Finally, between the models I compared, I would also get a moonroof with the cheaper Fusion.

I guess the geeks at cnet liked the Fusion better. Can anyone else give me their comparisons?

Full disclosure, I have not so much as sat in either the 2010 Fusion Hybrid or the 2010 Prius. I'm just going off web sources.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The base Prius V and base Fusion hybrid have the same price $27,270. However, Fusion has $1,700 tax credit.

Prius has these over Fusion hybrid:

- LED headlamp (Fusion has Halogen)
    - 3 Doors Smartkey (Fusion has SecuriCode™ keyless entry keypad)
    - Plasmacluster™ ionizer (Fusion has plain paper cabin filter)
    - Auto dimming mirror with HomeLink® (Fusion has auto dimming only, can't open garage door)
    - Leather-trimmed interior
    - Bluetooth (Fusion has Microsoft Sync? Ford.com does not list it)

Fusion has these over Prius:

- Reverse Sensing System
    - 110-volt power point
    - Dual-zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC)

I don't know how much the leather add for the Fusion hybrid. In my region, I have to add a package with others stuffs.

You decide if the extra features in the Prius V are worth $1,700. In my opinion, leather and LED are worth over $1,700 already. Prius will get higher MPG but Fusion will accelerate faster.

[Edit]: Prius would be better for you with your driving habit. If you do a lot of short trips or live in extreme hot/cold weather, Prius will be better for you. 2010 Prius has the technology to minimize MPG loss for extreme non-ideal conditions. Fusion's tech is comparable to the Iconic Prius generation.

3. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I too am considering both. I rode with my daughter this weekend on a 300 mile trip in her new 4cy ICE only Fusion. Nice car, but it did have the suspension and ride of a $24,000 car. It seemed to me to be rougher (not firmer, just rougher) than my past 07 TCH. Spec's show it being almost identical in interior to the Prius exceopt in width, which unless you have 3 wide seating I don't see as an issue. I liked her Fusion well enough to still consider the FFH. However my past experience with Toyota has been good and I like the possibility of 50 mpg. Mentally, if the Prius had been rated at 49 I don't know if I might be looking harder at the FFH. I've already looked at the savings and really once you get to 35 mpg, what appears to be large differences in mpg's really don't add up to much money so gasoline money is not an issue. The pricing (not MSRP) is so close it is a wash although I would like getting some of my tax money back (that I seem to keep sending out to give to freeloaders) so I like that part. I do like not using as much fuel which means less foreign oil being imported.

My local dealer received a black FFH in his first allotment. Had it been white there is a good chance I would have bought it as I'm more or less an impulse buyer. Now that I'm waiting I'll see if the Prius I want comes in soon. If I have to wait for a while on it I may indeed go back to the Ford if it's available. I don't make a lifetime committment to my car as many here seem to do, so I'll look at it next time around if I don't get it this time.

The SYNC worked pretty nice. However unless my kids set it up for me it would be like my TCH bluetooth and I'd never really learn to use it well. I like the idea of power seats which I don't think are available on the Prius. I won't know how much that irritates me until I try to live with it for a while.

I don't like the ugly front bumper with the large black fog light slots on the FFH. I do like the LED lamps and fog lights on the Prius.
    I like the idea of a traditional looking car like the FFH but I find the new looks of the Prius to be an attractive design and not as funky looking as before.

I do like the utility of the Prius hatchback although the trunk of the FFH looked reasonably large.

Bottom line, I think I like them both but am waiting on a Prius.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I forgot to mention the Touch Tracer in the Prius. Basically, Prius' door handles and steering wheel buttons are touch sensitive. There is no need to mess around with keypad enter numbers or looking down at the steering wheel buttons.

5. lauren80ryan

lauren80ryan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think like many on here have said ANY hybrid is a WIN. And if you don't want to LOOK like you are driving a hybrid, or you want it to feel like a normal sedan, then Fusion has got that over the prius.

I have to say the following left me with nothing but prius as my option:
    1) I'm sorry. I know people will argue this and it is okay but my husband has worked for Ford as a top mechanic and based on his experiences, their cars are fine; you get what you pay for. But anyone who asks for our opinion before they buy ends up with a Honda/Toyota/Subaru, which is all we own now.
    2) highest MPG available. LOVE that.
    3) I need the storage room that a hatchback can offer.
    4) I like having mid-size interior that parks/moves more like a compact car.
    5) I'm getting the solar package and am so excited for this new feature!!!
    6) LOW maintence (=save $$/stress/time)
    7) Proven hybrid technology that just keeps getting better and better.

But again, the more hybrids we buy (regardless of brand) the more we are encouraging car companies to pursue this technology! so maybe someday every car on the road will get 40+ MPG!! Wouldn't that rock?:rockon:

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Another thing I just remembered...

Prius qualifies for HOV lanes. Although CA does not give anymore. Other states like NY, VA, etc.. still do. The warranty is better for the Prius too.

Prius:

• 3-year/36,000-mile Comprehensive
    • 5-year/60,000-mile Powertrain
    • 5-year/unlimited-mileage Corrosion Perforation
    8-year/100,000-mile Hybrid-related Component Coverage
    15-year/150,000-mile Hybrid-related Component Coverage (applicable states are: CA, MA, NY, NJ,
    VT, CT, ME, NM and RI) with the exception of the hybrid battery. The hybrid battery is warranted for
    10 years/150,000 miles.

Fusion Hybrid:

• 3-year/36,000-mile Bumper-to-Bumper Coverage
    • 5-year/60,000-mile Powertrain Warranty
    • Coverage, 5-year/50,000-mile Safety Restraint Coverage, and 5-year/unlimited-mile
    Corrosion (Perforation) Coverage – all with no deductible.
    8-year/100,000-mile Hybrid Limited Warranty.

7. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Too bad I can't find an in-depth comparison of the two. I'm still leaning towards the Prius based on Toyota and mpg, and I had forgotten that I'll probably get better cargo room (but less vis) out of the hatchback design.

I think what could make it a tough choice when I actually test-drive them are all the cool toys you get with the Fusion. The Sync technology sounds cool, as does the audio system. You don't need nav to get a backup cam displayed in the rearview mirror (I know, it seems a little redundant, but it looks cool). The instrument display looks awesome.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh it depends. For the Prius, in EV Drive Mode (i.e. pressing the EV button), it's up to 25mph (50km/h). In EV Mode (so just driving normally), it'll go up to 42mph (65km/h) so the FFH goes 5mph faster in EV mode.

I am using Toyota Japan terminology with the EV Drive Mode to separate the two different "versions" of EV driving in the Prius.

9. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It sounds as though you really like the look of the FFH and the features it offers. If you really can get it for $1,700 less than a Prius V (and the V is what you'd want), then it looks like you are attempting to justify the purchase.

You don't need to convince me! I'm very happy to have Ford produce the FFH. I won't buy it, but that's because in my side-by-side comparison I have chosen the 2010 Prius V. The difference between us likely has to do with the look and the gadgets. I really like what the Prius offers, as opposed to the FFH. That isn't to say I'm right and you're wrong. Instead, it should make us both glad to have the options we see.

Before you go buy the FFH, please remember that the Prius will give you better mileage, and it likely now will give you better winter mileage and short-trip mileage. This is a big change from the Iconic Prius (Gen 2), and a big reason for me to make a change from what is an otherwise terrific car. I have a short commute and live in a cooler climate. The new 2010 Prius will offer great benefits to me in terms of mileage.

I love the SKS (I'm spoiled, really) and I like the full gadgetry (touch tracer, bluetooth, homelink. I like having a shorter car for city parking. I like the roominess, but I don't need to carry 3 large adults in the back seat. Also, the hatchback with the very large cargo area and fold-flat seats really is important to me.

AND . . . Toyota reliability. Yes, Ford certainly is improving, and I give them great credit.

All-in-all, I'm just too big of a Prius fan. Even if they were nearly identical in terms of looks, options and price, I'd still go with Prius. (OK, this really hasn't been an objective analysis!)

10. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Drive both and buy the one you like. Why does it matter what we think?

11. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm still waiting too to see the real world long term milage results from the FFH drivers. I drove a TCH for 67,000 miles averaging over 37mpg. MUCH better then the new EPA ratings. The FFH has a large difference in the city and highway milages. Over the (many) years I've never gotten much better than 10% better than the lowest EPA number even though most of my miles would be rural and highway, not city. If the fusion does not far exceed the EPA estimates like I did with my TCH then it too may end up being more like an overall 38-39 mpg vehicle which puts it back with the TCH. Honestly, I don't know how anyone could drive the TCH and average less than 35 mpg.

If too, I can average better then EPA with the Prius as I did with the TCH I would find that interesting. A 10% improvement would put me at 55 mpg average. I'm curious enough to do that so I think I would like to try a Prius for two years just to see.

12. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Interesting comment on a forum. If no one cares what each other thinks then why post or read these??????/

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    846 Gallon gas saving over 150k miles for Prius would cancel out the Fusion hybrid's tax credit.

$2 / Gallon = $1,692
    $3 / Gallon = $2,538
    $4 / Gallon = $3,384
    $5 / Gallon = $4,230

At $4 per gallon, you will be saving more with the Prius. I also found out that the Fusion hybrid has less interior room than the non-hybrid -- making it smaller than the Prius.

2010 Prius: 115.3 cu. ft.
    2010 Fusion Hybrid: 111.6 cu ft.

I agree with JSH, we are just pointing out minor stuffs. Your driving experience will greatly affect your decision. Don't buy it with your emotion though... give your logical side a bit more weight.

14. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless it's a FORD F150 I would never buy a ford:(

15. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Don't let those figures fool you. The Fusion is a bigger car. The Prius is including its cargo/hatch in its interior room where the Fusion (hybrid or not) does not include that in interior volume.
    The Fusion has a trunk!

For me the Prius is the car of choice due to the hatchback and the price. I am going to get a #2 or #3 so the Fusion is more expensive.

The Fusion is a bigger car, its going to get lower mpg. For its size the mpg of the Fusion hybrid is excellent. No car of that size gets higher mpg.

16. Martin37

Martin37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

17. ScarGo

ScarGo Common Sense Conservative

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My wife and I test drove the Ford Fusion Hybrid before our 2010 Toyota comes in. This is what I found.

Open the a door on the FFH look at how Ford has folded and spot welded the outer door skin onto the door frame. There is a gap between the metal with no sealer putty in between. It's just shoddy workmanship. The dash in the FFH (except for the gauge display) looks cheep, like the same kind of dash I could get in a sub $ 20,000.00 car. The grain on the dash is very course looking.

The area around the shifter is also cheap looking and out of place for a 32,000.00 car.

The leather seats are top notch and so is the steering wheel cover. However they seem out of place compared to all the other cheep plastic bits of the interior.

Believe me, I wanted to like the Ford Fusion Hybrid. We live at ground zero where the big three are imploding. It would be in our best interest to buy the Ford. We are going to buy the 2010 Prius. It is a better car.

Sorry Ford. :(

18. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Lots to be confused about!

True, the earlier numbers given were for total interior volume, not passenger volume. Looking at passenger volume, as listed by the U.S. Department of Energy, the Prius has 94cu.ft., where the Fusion (2009 model comparisons) is listed at 101cu.ft.. I know the Prius gained 5cu.ft. going from 2009 to 2010, but that was also a total interior volume measurement. While 7cu.ft. is nothing to scoff at, the difference is there only for a third passenger in the back seat.

The head room and leg room are nearly identical between the cars, but the Fusion has two inches more hip room in the back seat.

In terms of real, usable space, I think the cars are the same, save the back seat width. Also, remember that the Fusion has much less cargo space. It could be even less for the FFH.

Bigger? Well, yes, at least in terms of parking space, the Fusion is 15 inches longer and 3.5 inches wider, so it will take up more exterior space to give you the same seating space and less cargo capacity. You also need as much at 3 feet more space for turning the car around, too.

These two cars are listed in the same size category by EPA.

19. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I suspect I have irritated a few Prius fans with this thread. That wasn't my intention. I just want to learn more about how the cars compare to help me make an informed decision. I thought for sure there'd be a few folks, like ScarGo, that have test driven the Fusion. I appreciate all the input.

SKS is very nice feature on the Prius I had not thought about. So, too, is push-button start. I'm not aware that the Fusion has this.

One nice thing about the Fusion are the side-mirror indicators which tell you if you've got someone sitting in your blindspot. That's a cool feature.

I'm a linear thinking guy. It sure would be nice if someone would provide a side-by-side comparison of all feautres and specs of the two cars. But even a chart would not be able to compare the intangible, subjective impressions that can only be experienced by actually trying out the cars.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More confusion. That looks more like the non-hybrid figure.

Ford Fusion e-brochure shows, in cubic feet:
    Non-hybrid: 100.3 passenger + 16.5 luggage = 116.8 total;
    Hybrid: 99.8 passenger + 11.8 luggage = 111.6 total;

Toyota shows:
    Pruis-2010: 93.7 passenger + 21.6 luggage = 115.3 total.

In short, Fusion has more passenger room the Prius, while Prius has more cargo and total room than Fusion Hybrid. Take your pick.

Nearly all the reviews I've seen suggest that for anyone who wants a sedan, or who doesn't put fuel economy in the top two of their needs, the Fusion Hybrid will be an excellent choice.

Me? I want the FE and hatchback, but am glad to see the hybrid competition developing.