1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody, DIY suspension upgrade?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bernzx, Jul 11, 2007.

1. bernzx

bernzx New Member

Has anyone done a DIY suspension installation? I have installed Ebach springs and struts on my zx2 and I was wondering how hard it would be to install touring spring and struts on my 05 Prius. I did a search and found nothing!
    Thanks,
    Bernzx

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bernzx @ Jul 11 2007, 04:05 AM) [snapback]476685[/snapback]</div>
    There was a guy who, about two or more years ago, did an install himself, without a spring compressor. He detailed the whole thing, but I can't remember where it is anymore!
    :-(

I don't think it's terribly difficult; his method did detail a bit of fiddly disassembly in the cowl area up front, but I think it had to do primarily with his not using a spring compressor (but I'm not sure, again, sorry!)

The rear end is a beam axle so it's way simple back there; the access to some of the suspension points is by taking off the rear seat cushion. You'll be near the HV battery, but won't be disassembling anything that has to do with it, so no worries.

Front end is align-able (of course), rear less so, without the use of special shims. I did a front end alignment after waiting a week or two, and also checked the level of the headlights (the TRD parts give the car a bit of a forward rake).

I had the TRD setup installed by a Toyota dealer; the install was I think in the neighborhood of $300...suggests to me that it's not that difficult...?

There is just what you're looking for, for sale here on PC, if you're interested...someone just swapped out their Touring suspension.

3. JaviNOS

JaviNOS Mod Freak

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I found this link I dont know if it will help you... http://www.vfaq.net/Mods-suspension.html

personally I'm waiting for my kit to arrive... then I'll be doing it myself the installation and hope to be posting pics soon... that is if I dont stumble into any trouble during that process :lol: