1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody experience drop in mpg after new AV setup?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by snowykim, Oct 8, 2009.

1. snowykim

snowykim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I finally got an alpine w505 head unit yesterday.
    I decide to wait until new dash kit comes out to market. My audio shop told me sometime in the next Month.

By the way, I still do not know which way should I go with this HU?
    1. Simply swap HU
    2. With new HU, replace speakers
    3. More radically, new amp, sub, speakers with dynamat inside 4 door panels.

Obviously I will get the best sound from 3 but my concern is any drop on mpg since it will draw more electricity from system...

Any experience or idea???

If it does hurt mpg, I guess I have to stick with either option 1 or 2.

2. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, for most Head unit and speakers are enough. As long as you go with a good Class D amp you should not have much trouble with 12V causing MPG to drop. I can still average about 40mpg in my hybrid altima and I have 4 amps including two very big McIntosh Amps in it.

I will say that the sound deadening really helps the prius. Just don't get too much and use B-Quiet to save on weight.

EDIT : Also as long as you don't play loud loud for too long.

-Chan

1 person likes this.
  3. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    #3!

1 person likes this.
  4. snowykim

snowykim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, Chan and Dr. Curious.
    You guys are real asset in this forum:rockon:

Now if I do want to follow option 3, anybody can recommend good speaker, sub and amp for my Alpine IVA-W505 head unit?

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Zeeee, it becomes more like an addiction for me to transform my prius to ultimate driving machine:(

5. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey there :)

I'm still dreaming about that Azentek Smartmirror. It looks like such a great option!

I went to my local stereo shop and told them to put in some "decent" equipment. For my four speakers and the amp installed it was around $650. With the factory CD player it still sounded infinitely better than the stock speakers. So basically anything you pick out will be a huge improvement over normal and will work well with the Alpine head unit.

For speakers, it's good to go to the audio shop and listen to a bunch and pick out the ones you like. I don't know much about amps, but it would be nice to get a 4 channel amplifier whose dimensions will fit under the front passenger seat. It's a great place to put an amp and it keeps it out of the way of anything else.

A subwoofer is up to you. I didn't get one, I wanted everything to look as factory / stock as possible.

Are you not installing that great Alpine head unit until the dash kit comes out?

Take it easy!

6. snowykim

snowykim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, that is the hardest part.... I have to wait at least another month, I guess...

By the way, I am enjoying smartmirror but if I knew I come this far, I might have not taken that route. Just add navigation module to W505 screen is simpler solution.

I am not really into hard lock or heavy metal and mostly I listen either jazz or classical music in my vehicle. So I have to find proper setup to my tunes and also the simplest amp which can provide just enough power to speakers with minimal impact to the battery at the same time...

Specific speaker name, model as well as amp and sub recommendation will be greatly appreciated!

7. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Snowykim,

I would stick with a Class D amplifer like the Alpine PDX series or the JL HD series. The class D circuit is like 80% efficient and the designs are really compact. (Easy to find mounting places.

Personally I listen to almost everything but classical is on about 50% of the time. I tend to pefer component speakers but that can get costly. As radioprius1 mention, just head to a Car Audio shop and listen to speakers that fit your budget and go from there. take your time with the upgrade.

-Chan

8. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's another thread on speakers - the front tweeters (Squakers) are 2" - a pro stereo shop should be able to put in 3.5" (there are many different ones available). If you add nav, this speaker area is also a good place to put the GPS antenna... There are also many 6x9s (for the doors) - I think you must stick to 3" depth... Find speakers that match in sensitivity, and you can get by with a passive filter with the front pairs - avoiding external amps...

Have fun!