1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody have "Moody" windows?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, May 19, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I lower my front drivers windows "or passenger for that matter", it sometimes wants to go all the way down unless I hit the up button at which time it wants to go all the way back up or just stop.

I usually want to lower it to a measured level, but it has a mind of its own?

Other times it seems to respond just the way I want it.. in other words.. it goes down as I push the button and stops when I release it?

Why does it sometimes have a mind of its own and other times let me control it?

Sometimes its very hard to get it to do what I want.... anybody know whats up?..or is mine just being funky?

I have two 06 prius's and they both respond the same.. I assume its normal.

If it is, I would sure like to know a way to reprogram it.

Thanks.....

2. snowman83

snowman83 New Member

If you'll notice, the driver's side window control has the word "AUTO" on it, which means it's designed so that if you push it ALL the way down and release, it'll automatically put the window all the way down - this is designed as a convenience feature so you don't have to hold it for a long time while driving. Same goes for putting it all the way up. If you only want it to go down a certain amount, make sure you don't push it ALL the way down; rather, just one notch down. Ditto for going back up.

I don't know why that happens with the passenger side, though - it shouldn't.

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowman83 @ May 18 2006, 10:52 PM) [snapback]257918[/snapback]</div>

Humm.... maybe it doesn't happen on the passenger side.. I'll check again.... I've never had windows that had that feature......
    The last car I owned was a year 95.... thanks for the tidbit....

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My front driver's side window will do that sometimes. I can't quite figure out the right amount of pressure/timing to put the window down or up a little bit rather than it going all the way down or up in Auto mode. The passenger (and all the other windows) don't do that though.

5. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 19 2006, 01:43 AM) [snapback]257916[/snapback]</div>

I think it's because your eyeballs are screwed up. Try looking at it another way. :rolleyes:

6. BobZ

BobZ New Member

Snowman is correct. The feature is called power windows with Drivers "EXPRESS" up and down. Try it from fully opened you'll see it goes up automatically too.

http://www.toyota.com/prius/models.html

When I lower my front drivers windows "or passenger for that matter", it sometimes wants to go all the way down unless I hit the up button at which time it wants to go all the way back up or just stop.

I usually want to lower it to a measured level, but it has a mind of its own?

Other times it seems to respond just the way I want it.. in other words.. it goes down as I push the button and stops when I release it?

Why does it sometimes have a mind of its own and other times let me control it?

Sometimes its very hard to get it to do what I want.... anybody know whats up?..or is mine just being funky?

I have two 06 prius's and they both respond the same.. I assume its normal.

If it is, I would sure like to know a way to reprogram it.

Thanks.....
    [/quote]

7. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A light press will allow you to control the amount of up or down on the driver's window. A hard press or pull causes the window to go all the way automatically. As you've learned, you can stop the auto motion with the switch.

Only the driver's window has the auto mode on the Prius.

The Volvo XC90 SUV has auto up/down for both front windows, so I was used to it.

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ May 19 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]258175[/snapback]</div>

Hey... Good idea Weedhopper! :D

9. _echo

_echo Junior Member

The drivers window control switch has 5 positions, Much like the autofocus modes on a camera. You 'lightly' push on it to intermittently activate the motors, and you push it to the stops to get to the end stops.

There's a light detent feel to that switch, it might take some getting used to though. There should definitely be some tactile feedback.

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_echo @ May 29 2006, 11:28 AM) [snapback]262402[/snapback]</div>

Yea.. it works both for going up as well as down... pretty nifty once you get used to it....
    I should have read the manual better....
    thanks