1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody in Arizona use EV mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by kevmac, Jun 6, 2006.

1. kevmac

kevmac New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was able to get my EV mode to work at 5:00AM this morning; that's the only time it has ever worked. I'm wondering if it won't work when it gets hot out; if that's the case then the mod isn't much good to me if I live in Arizona. Does anybody have any experience with EV mode in that kind of an environment?

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It'll work when it gets hot out, but if the battery is too hot, it will refuse EV mode. I was only able to activate EV mode 50% of the time during the hot days of summer last year in Vancouver, BC. The heat just makes it hard for the battery to cool.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I use it in the cooler months when I need to make quick trips w/ my kids to the bus stop or from the office to a data center we have down the street. In the hotter months, the demand for A/C alone kills the ability to use EV. Heat is also a contributing factor. Hope this helps.

4. kevmac

kevmac New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Jun 6 2006, 11:38 AM) [snapback]266699[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to wait until sometime in the fall to really try it out. It did come on once when I tried it at 5:00AM this morning so I assume that it works.

5. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevmac @ Jun 6 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]266790[/snapback]</div>
    How often does your battery compartment fan come on? I live in southern California and I can count on one hand the number of times that fan has come on.

I also have the same issue with the car refusing EV mode when it's hot. So my question is, if the battery compartment is too hot for EV mode, why doesn't the freakin' fan come on to cool it?

DGStan

6. kevmac

kevmac New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dgstan @ Jun 6 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]266880[/snapback]</div>
    I don't hear the fan come on too often; I have the same question that you do.

7. CrazyRussian

CrazyRussian Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevmac @ Jun 6 2006, 08:21 AM) [snapback]266646[/snapback]</div>
    I'll try it today and let you know the result. It suppose to be over 100, so, that shoud be a good test. I have EV installed but only used it a few times for short trips at night, never had an opportunity to use it durring hot days. I let you know tonight.

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The freakin' fan doesn't run when the car is powered off, and as the
    cabin heats up in the sun, so do the batteries. And they're a
    significant thermal mass, so you aren't going to cool them down
    into EV-modeable range all that quickly.
    One thing to try is go in the back and pull out the black plastic
    "seekrit luggage compartment" tray, and then feel the back of the
    metal battery case. If it feels warmer than you'd be comfortable
    with in your own environment as a human, then that's probably
    too hot for EV.
    _H*

9. CrazyRussian

I had no trouble turning EV mode on yesterday while MFD showed 111F outside.

10. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jun 8 2006, 01:40 AM) [snapback]267296[/snapback]</div>
    The UK Users Manual says as follows...
    Reading the battery temp through CAN messages, we found that we can't enter EV mode when it is 46 C and above.

Ken@Japan

11. CrazyRussian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrazyRussian @ Jun 8 2006, 07:07 AM) [snapback]267863[/snapback]</div>
    MFD displayed 108 for outside temperature and the car refused to switch to EV mode both times I attempted it.

12. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder if at 5:00am you don't have the air going and later in the day you do?... the heavy load from the airconditioner will often not let EV activate.