1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody know Were I can get a main board to fix my MFD.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dlthames, Oct 2, 2016.

1. dlthames

dlthames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I began having a problem with my MFD in my 2006 Prius about 3 weeks ago. It would reboot and show the Toyota logo. In the process my aux input would cut out and I'd have to press the input button on my stereo. It would work intermittently, then on the 23 of September I saw this!

IMG_4171.JPG

It has not worked since.
    So this weekend I had some time to tear it down and troubleshoot.
    I have 2 Prii my wife's is a 2008 and has the same MFD (86110-47220) so I took both apart and swapped boards.

IMG_7324.JPG

I'm going to assume most everyone here knows how to take the MFD out but I'll show the tear down step by step.

IMG_7325.JPG
    Remove 2 Philips screws from the cover, unplug the 2 plugs and take out the 2 Philips screws from the board.
    IMG_7329.JPG

I removed the mount ears by unscrewing 2 Philips screws.
    IMG_7330.JPG

Remove 4 screws from the trim ring, unplug the wires and bluetooth antenna from the right side and the trim ring with the buttons can be set aside.

IMG_7331.JPG

There are 5 screws, 1 on top and 2 on each side. Unplug the Bluetooth from the board on the lower left, then the back can be set aside. Also set aside the cable that ran from the back board to the buttons on the trim piece.

IMG_7335.JPG

Remove the lower left board by unplugging the cable and unscrewing 2 Philips screws. Also remove the metal shield from the HV board. Please be careful with the HV board. That is a lot of voltage potential.

IMG_7336.JPG

Unplug the cable from the HV board then remove the 2 Philips screws and carefully set aside the HV board.

IMG_7337.JPG

Remove 5 Philps screws from the mounting plate and set it aside.

IMG_7338.JPG

Unplug the fan and the plug on the lower left of the board. Set the board aside. Leave the 2 Philips screws that attach the fan to the plate.

IMG_7339 (1).JPG

Now to remove the main board ( my problem board ). Unplug the flex cable on the top by pulling the metal release bar and bottom left flex cable by gently pulling down on the brown plastic release. Then remove 4 Philips screws and set the board aside.

IMG_7340.JPG

So I tore down my wife's the same way and went board by board and finally found that my main board is bad. If anyone on the forum has a lead on where I could get a working main board at a reasonable price please let me know. I've looked on eBay and can't find just a main board. The part number of the main board is (46265-0061), I think.

To put it back together just follow the steps in reverse.

I hope this write up of the tear down is useful to someone!

Last but not least thank you for having such a great community, you have kept my 2 Prii running for many years!

fotomoto likes this.
  2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No one will sell you a main board, b/c of the time to tear down. Easier to just sell the whole assembly. You are the only person who does a tear down for the repair.

Contact Steve at autobeyours. He will have MFDS to sell. Unlikely he will have boards just laying around.

3. dlthames

dlthames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Kinda hoping someone on here has a MFD with a cracked screen or something I could scrounge the board from. Thanks!:)

bisco likes this.
  4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Put a WTB (Want To Buy) post on the Private Sales thread.

Post on Craigslist.

Look for people parting out.

5. dlthames

dlthames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good ideas! I'll give it a try! Thanks!

6. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    try tampa hybrid and ask if they have a broken one you can buy...id just buy one from e bay for $125 that works and be done with it