1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody replace their head unit?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Sillyboy, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Sillyboy

Sillyboy New Member

I have seen some references to a full head unit replacement, anybody actually do this?

I don't really care about the MFD, but would want to maintain steering wheel controls. Seems by the time I pay for dice unit for ipod integration, and cleansweep to fix up the insane factory EQ... I would be way better off with a new head unit if possible.

I am getting really freaky results in my testing today w/ my upgraded Infinity speakers (both component fronts, and 2-way rears). Playing a low bass test tones (50hz, just as an example)... at some point in turning up the volume, the tweeters start to freak out and buzz like they are attempting to reproduct 50hz very unsuccessfully. This happens at roughtly half volume (34 on my volume dial for 50hz, but it varies by frequency). I assume this is my head unit clipping and the tweeter freaking out? Still have no idea why the cross over doesn't deal w/ that better, but I am not well versed in such things.

-Silly

2. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sillyboy @ Mar 30 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]415137[/snapback]</div>
    In order to upgrade the head unit, you would need to visit a custom shop...there is no way to replace it and still make your console look decent...and it definitely wouldn't mix with your steering wheel controls and MFD.
    That being said there have been lots of peopel that have added an auxilary unit (DVD, FM, XM/Sirius, touchscreen, etc.) in the slot below the radio. I have heard that cleansweep was a great idea, too.
    I replaced my components with kicker components and have never had a problem. I can take it to maximum volume with no hitches, although it would probably be even better if I amped them. If you are having problems, I doubt it would be your head unit...check the wiring or the components, cause if it was working fine before it should be working fine after (the installation).

3. Sillyboy

Sillyboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(faith2walk @ Mar 30 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]415238[/snapback]</div>
    For reference to those who see this thread in the future, here is a link to another thread where some people go crazy :-P http://priuschat.com/Has-anyone-mounted-an...ket-t25219.html

Now, any body know if the metra head unit kit would work in an 07?
    http://www.metraonline.com/downloads/pdf/T...INST99-8213.pdf