1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody See the New Nissan Ads on TV?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by eyeguy13, Jul 17, 2006.

1. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nissan is coming out with their version of CVT and the Smartkey. Maybe it's not so new for them, but the commercials touting this technology is.

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. at least I think so. It was playing in the background while I was reading and replying to another topic. Was a guy making shifting sounds or was he just retarded or both?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They already have the smart key called the Intelligent Key on Infiniti models. Nice to see them filter down to Nissan models. The bluetooth might be for the new Versa, the first subcompact to feature this technology.

4. tyrael

tyrael Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Their smart ignition technology is just like what the Acura RL had. It's just not that cool. Why make a turn key motion if you don't have to?

The guy is just making the shifting sounds so that he can trick his wife into thinking that there are going to be some rough shifting points. She doesn't fall for it of course and keeps on applying. Witty, but not that witty.

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm trying to encourage my mom to buy a Versa with CVT. She wants a Honda Fit, but if Nissan's CVT is as good as Toyota's, it's what I'd prefer she drive.

Too bad the Fit Hybrid is a year off, last I knew. So far, CVT and Hybrid end up together a lot...

6. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What I did notice was the Hummer ads. Take your manhood back. That made me freakin shutter.

7. molgrips

molgrips Member

Nissan Micra had smart entry thing a year or two ago here.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ Jul 17 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]287939[/snapback]</div>
    I've seen them. They're just trying to tout/promote awareness of two of the new and unique features of the Maxima. The Max didn't have them before and there aren't that many cars sold in the US in that class that have both a smartkey system and CVT.

Nissan's had a CVT available on the Murano for awhile and they've also had an Extroid aka Xtroid CVT http://www.histomobile.com/histomob/tech/2/90.htm which is pretty unique. AFAIK, the Extroid has never been sold in the US because its transmission fluid cannot handle some of the lowest temps that the US experiences.

I believe the first CVT equipped car sold in the US was the Subaru Justy many years ago.

9. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Jul 18 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]288240[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I have a 2003 Murano w/CVT. Over 50,000 trouble-free miles.

10. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Jul 18 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]288240[/snapback]</div>

Now THERE is a flashback!!

Anyone recall the first CVT cars, the DAFodil?

11. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    The Nissan CVT is nothing like the Prius CVT. I had a Murano (an excellent vehicle), and it had a cone and belt CVT. My guess is that neither is like the CVT in the Honda Insight.

12. markymags

markymags Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I saw the Nissan Maxima commercial (I think that might be the same commercial) where they were touting the smart key and keyless ignition. I thought the car in general looked pretty cool... a lot cooler than the old school Maxima my 'rents had from the mid 80s (that car did last a long time though... we gave it to a family friend in 2003 and the only thing broken in it was the AC). The Maxima and Altima were my 2nd and 3rd choices if I wasn't able to get a Prius.