1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody willing to help out with some answers?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by LuckyName, Jul 24, 2015.

1. LuckyName

LuckyName Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just made an account to ask two questions.

I just got my first car a few weeks ago and wanted to purchase seat covers. I have read through multiple threads on this website and the astonishing feedback for Wet Okole has made me want to get them. I However, I went to the website and I am seriously confused. It asks for the type of front seats and rear seats in the Prius. I'm assuming the front are bucket seats, since that's what they look like? But what about the little storage arm rest thing in the middle of the seats? And as for the rear seats, that I can't figure out at all. The seats don't look anything like the ones pictured. The bench seats come close but once again confused about the middle thing with the cup holder in the middle.

And also for the second part of my post, I was looking into tinting my windows. I've done research on the 3M crystalline. I live in California, so the legal limit would be 70 for the front windows. I was going to go darker for the back windows, but have decided against it. I'm a new driver and I feel like tinting my windows too dark would not be a wise decision. I'm barely getting comfortable as a driver and don't want the dark tint to give me trouble at night. So I have decided to do the 3M Crystalline 70 for all of my windows. But I'm wondering if anybody has 70 all around and has pictures to share? I've tried looking all over the board but mostly everybody has super dark windows, haha. Would 3M Crystalline be a good investment or should I go with another brand?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said this is my first car and have only been driving for like a month, so I'm kind of lost when it comes down to these "customization" things.

Burna J likes this.
  2. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dylan Doxey likes this.
  3. LuckyName

LuckyName Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Burna J

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. I have finals next week and can't risk losing out on study time this weekend. Thank you for the invite though. Hopefully I'll be able to catch one in the future and there's somebody that can help me out over the forum in the meantime.

el Crucero likes this.
  4. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Surely you can make the modding party on Aug 8th.

5. LuckyName

LuckyName Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's at @Burna J 's place. I think he's anout to PM you. :)

7. LuckyName

LuckyName Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well that sounds great.

Anybody have any input on my questions?

8. HelloHybrid

HelloHybrid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In regards to the window tint, you are technically not allowed to put any on the front windows. I know CA law says 70% of light needs to pass through, but the glass alone already absorbs the other 30% (or close enough to pass the light meter).

I have 20% in the rear and 35% in the front. I originally wanted 50% in the front and am glad I changed my mind. If I see cops I usually roll my windows down just in case. I have had cops roll right next to me or see me cross intersections with my windows up and no one has cared (yet).

I got 3M color stable. Since you're in SoCal maybe consider a ceramic film for heat reflection, and it looks good and usually comes with a lifetime warranty.

You'll probably need to see the tint in person to determine what percentage you want to end up with. Maybe just see the cars being worked on at your tint shop. Or just go to the next meetup, but everyone's gonna have darker tints that you've already seen.

9. LuckyName

LuckyName Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @HelloHybrid The reason why I do want to add a tint is to block out UV and heat. I'm not so worried about the tint color at this point anymore. So that's why I just figured why not do 70 all around?

10. HelloHybrid

HelloHybrid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a white Prius with 70% 3M Crystalline all around: 3m Crystalline 70% full tint | Yelp

I think your windows already absorb UV. You'll see some UV logo etched on your back window. For heat rejection, 3M claims that all shades of their Crystalline line block the same amount regardless of how dark/light you go. You should be good with 70% if you wanna keep it light.

11. LuckyName

LuckyName Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @HelloHybrid So the factory tint for both front and back windows are already 70? Because the crystalline 70 looks a lot darker than my windows right now. Maybe i'm wrong and just observing wrong.

12. LuckyName

LuckyName Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This website is going to be the death of me.

I went through other threads and found different types of seat covers.

Wet Okole, Clazzio OR Katzkin

I don't even know what I want anymore. There's so many options. I just know I want to cover the current seats. :(

13. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A wise young man who has his priorities straight! (y)

LuckyName likes this.
  14. LuckyName

LuckyName Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't be in a rush. Check out the tinter's shop & references. They should be able to offer an informed opinion.

There are a lot of good choices out there for seat covers. The old sheet works & will be cheaper until you make a decision.

16. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Have the Katzkin leather black and white with contrast stitching.

Have 32% tint all the way around. It looks darker with my dark interior.