1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone actually having trouble refueling?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by harper42, Jul 27, 2006.

1. harper42

harper42 Member

I've read the horror stories of problems putting in gas. I'm still on my first, dealer filled, tank. I'm sort of dreading going for that first refueling. Have any of you actually had problems with this, and how did you solve them?

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just put in my first tank this morning and I was also dreading it because of some of the stories. I drove a little out of my way to find a self-serve station, but I had NO problem filling up.

Still, the solutions I've gleaned from other threads:

1. with the nozzle in the car, lift the hose so it's above the nozzle, thus potentially draining the vapor trap.
    2. fill slowly
    3. turn the nozzle upside down and try to fill up that way.
    4. If it clicks prematurely, pull out (this is starting to sound graphic!) wait a moment, then re-insert and continue filling slowly.

Does that sound about right? Am I missing anything?

Hopefully neither of us will have to practice those techniques.

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, come on, everyone! It's not something to "dread." I know that we use hyberbole sometimes talking about these issues, but is it really going to take that much away from the driving experience if you can only fill up the car to 10 gallons and not the 11.9 of the tank?

Or 8 gallons? I'll remind you that, even highly underestimating the fuel efficiency (to 40 MPG), that would still be a 320 mile range; quite reasonable for many (most?) modern cars. So, just fill it up to the first click and then walk away. Remember: "1 cup of spilled gas releases as many hydrocarbons into the atmosphere as the Prius does in 8000 miles"

4. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Had the car for 3 weeks. No problems filling up. Pull up to the pump, swipe credit card, fill up, drive away. Just like a regular car. No need to over analyze.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It really isn't that big of a problem... it may seem like you hear about it all the time here, but the thing you've got to remember is that the thousands of members on here don't post everytime they have a decent, worry free fill up...

oh, and last saturday i had a great fill up... just squeezed the handle, set the catch, and let it go till it clicked off.

the only thing you really need to keep in mind when filling up is that the tank doesn't take a fixed amount of gas like most cars. the bladder will expand if you put too much in it, then burp out the excess once the pressure is released. so just don't top off and you'll (generally) be fine.

6. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've been driving my Prius almost two years, fueling it like I fuel any other vehicle, trouble-free. Just don't top off and you'll be fine.

7. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jul 27 2006, 07:52 AM) [snapback]293092[/snapback]</div>
    This forum has done a disservice to new owners if you are leaveing here to fill up your car with this on your mind.

Insert nozzle, turn it on... I choose the slow notch, but not for any real good reason or experience. When it clicks off, hang it up and be on your way.

Optional - I pull the nozzle out until it's barely in the hole and add about .5 to .8 gallons (stop there, don't wait for another click or you'll splash out).

But, really there is no secret here.

8. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I filled my tank for the first time last night. No problems, filled it like I did my old car. I let it click off and then I was done. I had been down to 2 pips and was able to put just over 9 gallons in it

9. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Too true about us paranoid ninnies being scared by the 1 in 1,000 story of some minor problem. Always good to remember that the bad stories are the first ones to hit the airwaves.

But try to understand our reactions. We have shiny new babies, and we're concerned about their well-being.

10. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've never had any issues with filling up the Prius in the almost 6 months I've had the car. I just use the auto-fill lever on the pump to fill it up and will occasionally click it a few more times when it clicks off. My biggest issue when filling up is finding a gas station that isn't already clogged at every pump with guzzling SUVs that I know will be camped out for quite some time while their 20+ gallon tanks suck in more fuel while simultaneously draining the owners' wallets of any extra cash. :lol:

11. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The first time I filled the tank, actually it was my daughter who was trying to fill it, she had a real problem just getting the pump to stay on at all. It kept clicking off. I don't remember whether we changed pumps but we eventually got it filled a little at a time.

I haven't experienced it quite as bad since, but I do get a big variation in the amount of gas I can pump (assuming the same number of pips remaining on the gauge) before it clicks off. I also sometimes have difficulty getting the nozzle in -- and getting it out again. It definitely takes some getting used to.

But there's no need to panic! It's kind of like trying to get a finicky newborn to feed the first time! ;) You need to be patient and to try various positions.

12. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First fill up this AM, went with same frame of mind as you. Pump clicked after first second, then the attendant (I'm in NJ) just reduced the flow and walked away. No problem, no worries.
    If you fear it, the gas pump wins.

13. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, here in Oregon they don't trust us enough to pump our own gas, so there is no self-serve, so I've never had problems. You'd be amazed at how spoiled you get... but it's nice in February when you just roll down the window and hand them your card and sit in the dry warm car. Well, I did have to pump my own in Washington when I was there, but no problems. None of the station attendants seem to have problems either, although it was embarrassing the first time I went to a gas station to fill and I didn't know where the fuel door release was...took me a minute.

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Jul 27 2006, 06:13 AM) [snapback]293102[/snapback]</div>
    While I agree that there is nothing to "dread" this isn't an issue of only filling 10 instead of 11.9 gallons. At least not in my case. I've filled up maybe six times now, and not once has it gone easily. Yet I don't have the problem of only filling part way before it shuts off. I have the problem where it clicks off *immediately* when I start. The only reliable solution I've found is to turn the nozzle upside-down. Looks silly, but saves lots of frustration.

I've tried going as slow as possible, lifting the hose, using other stations and other pumps. I've had trouble every damn time. Turning the nozzle upside down solved it the first five times, so now I'm just doing that as a matter of course.

I don't dread filling up the Prius. I just dread having to drive to the gas station in general.

15. Bearcatzzz

Bearcatzzz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Jul 27 2006, 05:34 AM) [snapback]293087[/snapback]</div>
    Shouldn't be a problem. I have seen many posts which refer to not being able to fill the tank completely the first couple of times. I had that problem also.

Just be aware and don't try to force fuel in. You can cause problems if you force it in. Not always. I'm a little more inclined to get that little extra in before a drive. Heat can cause the fuel to expand and push fuel where it would interfere.

Set the lever on the lowest setting and pump. I give mine 2 tries after the 1st click depending on how much you are expecting to pump in and have pumped in (I had an old Ford <_< which would shut the handle off anytime during the fill-up).

The second fill-up I was able to get more gas in the tank. The third time even more. I'm soon to get my 4th fill-up.

16. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 27 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]293546[/snapback]</div>
    Have these all been at the same gas station? I've heard that there are some "overly sensitive" (read: "broken") shut-off mechanisms out there. I'll definately agree that immediate shut-offs are bad/annoying.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 27 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]293546[/snapback]</div>
    Wait, Darell! I've figured it out! It's just that you forget how to use the pump between trips!

17. archermoo

archermoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Never had any issue filling up mine, at a variety of pumps at a variety of stations. Run the pump on auto on the fastest speed, pull it out when it clicks off. Might I be able to fit more gas in? Maybe, but I generally get a good 120 miles before the first bar goes away, so I figure it is full enough.

18. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Jul 27 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]293576[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. From my post: "I've tried going as slow as possible, lifting the hose, using other stations and other pumps." So far, I haven't had a single fill attempt that has not tried to abort instantly. Odd that whenever I mention difficulty filling that most people assume that I'd like to put that final gallon in, and am whining about that. Nope... I have trouble getting the first gallon in. And the second. And the third.

That may very well be it. I'm spoiled by not having to use a gas pump to fill the car we use every day. This liquid fuel stuff is a pain!

19. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Jul 27 2006, 07:34 AM) [snapback]293087[/snapback]</div>
    I have had, and continue to have, real problems filling up at many stations. Some are not a problem, at others the pump clicks off immediatly no matter how slow I try to fill up. It sounds like a lot of people don't have a problem but I do.

20. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 27 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]293636[/snapback]</div>
    Darelldd,

Have you had this looked at by the dealer? I drive around 2800 miles a month (around 3-4 fillups) and have never had any issues. I guess it is possible that all of the stations in NorCal use a different type of nosel...and that is causing your problem.

Since this seems to be chronic with some cars, and non-existent with others, it seems to me that it could be a vehicle issue that could be solved.

Mike