1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone been vandalized?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Scott_R, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was thinking about this, and saw an almost two year old thread that touched on the topic.

Anyone have their Prius vandalized just because it was a Prius?

I worry about that when I leave mine in a lot. I park carefully: some corner that I can wedge it into so it's safe[r] from dings, in a spot that's public enough that maybe a vandal would think twice, but not too public. Never in two spots (I've never done that), but tucked away where it shouldn't even come close to another vehicle.

I'm thinking of people who, as Brett Butler once noted, only learned to walk upright when they put beer on the upper shelves in the supermarket. People for whom the simple presence of a Prius is enough cause to key the paint or kick in the door.

I had purchased a new '99 Solara in Speeding Ticket Red, and I'd loved the look of the car. Polished it up to a shine. Someone keyed it when it had ~500 miles on the odometer. So, paranoia? No, just been bitten.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Never had any problems with. At this point, i pretty much doubt people would do that, it's becoming too popular of a car.

And for a bit of "where it's been parked": several college campuses, a couple of blocks from a really bad part of town (for about 3 months), work (most often within a couple of spots of several other prii :)) and of course my garage

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I've heard of a person (on one of the Yahoo lists), leaving their house to go to work, discovered someone in the act of letting the air out of the Prius' tires. The reason given was the guy was angry at how much he had to spend filling the tank of his car. Fortunately the Prius owner was a cop, so he was able to have the guy sweat a bit. :D He ended up making him refill the tires.

There are people after the HID headlights, but that counts more as theft.

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hey there fellow LI Prius owner. I used to park in Brooklyn before moving to LI. My car got keyed after couple of months on the passenger side. The second week I parked in LI, the passenger side mirror got ripped off! :eek: :angry: The landlord said that's the first time something like that happened. I'm not sure if that's because I drive a Prius or just random "luck".... wish you luck with your new baby!

5. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jul 25 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]292079[/snapback]</div>

Then again, its popularity might radicalize those who are on the fence. And as gas prices rise--as aaf709 noted about the guy who was angry at how much he had to spend filling the tank of his car.

I've met people who have this attitude where they presume that someone with a Prius is a condescending snob and so get angry and resentful without knowing a single thing about that person. Who knows what the psychology behind that is; I'm sure it's varied.

6. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Jul 25 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]292096[/snapback]</div>
    I saw a prius in the parking lot at work that was keyed on the driver side, it was about six inches long and the front hood to the right of the toyota sign looks like it was kicked, there was a large dent approx. the size of a shoe. do not know who's car it was or what happened tho. Just my observation. My own hasn't been vandalized, expect for maybe a parking lot ding, not sure when or where it happend tho.

7. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Jul 25 2006, 01:40 PM) [snapback]292096[/snapback]</div>

It must be the cloud of Smug that spews from every Prius as the owner smells his/her own farts... :lol:

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My car is in the shop right now having the rear passenger door repainted because it was keyed. Luckily only to the primer, not to the metal.

It happened in the school parking lot. Very few people know I drive a Prius, but I do think the car was keyed because it was *my* car, not because it was a Prius.

Yes, I have suspects. No, no one saw it and I can't prove anything. The district pays my deductible, which is $500.

9. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 25 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]292180[/snapback]</div>

Sort of makes me want to install a 360 degree security camera system.

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Unless you personally witnessed the vandal and were able to question him/her... How could you know whether your Prius was vandalized simply "because it is a Prius?"

11. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Jul 25 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]292183[/snapback]</div>
    I actually plan on installing a 4 camera solid state recording system sometime soon.

12. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Jul 25 2006, 05:46 PM) [snapback]292203[/snapback]</div>
    If you mean "know beyond a doubt," then probably you can't; it'll largely be circumstantial.

13. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  14. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Jul 25 2006, 11:16 AM) [snapback]292074[/snapback]</div>
    And that caused you to post this idiocy? You do have a life, right?

15. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Anybody know how to put 200 volts across the body of the Prius without harming the Prius ? :)

PS - knock it off, pogo.

16. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Jul 25 2006, 11:41 PM) [snapback]292391[/snapback]</div>
    Well you could use 2 strips of copper tape along the side. One strip would be the positive and the other strip would be the negative.

+ ==========

- ===========

When you touch the two you will complete the circuit and ZAP! :D

17. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Jul 25 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]292338[/snapback]</div>
    ScottR, I will give you that this was a completely inappropriate response, if you can give me that it's more than a little paranoid and self absorbed to think that you might be the target of vandalism because of the car you've chosen. If you can't give me that, I'll still give your that my post was inappropriate. Thanks, Brandon. My wife says I've got to work on my crankiness.

18. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Jul 26 2006, 12:59 AM) [snapback]292425[/snapback]</div>
    The ironic thing is that it is far more likely that Prius owners would be vandalizing SUVs than for SUV owners to be vandalizing Priuses.

It's not hard to find news articles about SUVs that are vandalized by enviro-terrorist aspirants. Just do a Google search on "SUV Vandalism".

19. Linny

Linny New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 25 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]292180[/snapback]</div>
    Wow Godiva...Sorry to hear that. I work in a school system too. I am so amazed to hear that the district is paying your deductable. A colleague of mine had his car damaged by students (witnessed) and he had to sue to get any reimbursement...and he lost. Anyway...to those of you who aren't familiar with working in a school environment...it's not always that difficult to figure out who might do such a thing. It ain't Welcome Back Kotter out there...
    :mellow:

20. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jul 25 2006, 05:54 PM) [snapback]292207[/snapback]</div>

Truly? How will you manage that?