1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone bought a car from autobeyours in Indiana (esp. hail damaged).

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by flippo, Oct 11, 2016.

1. flippo

flippo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All,

My 2007 Toyota Prius (191k miles) was just totaled. Best car I ever owned and we are going to buy another Prius. I got 180k trouble-free miles out of it before it went squish.

We are considering taking the drive to Autobeyours in Scottsville. They specialize in salvaged 2nd gen Prius, and also appear (according to their website) to have some hail-damaged 2016 Priuses (Prii?) as well.

Has anyone bought a salvaged Prius from them that can provide a recommendation, good or bad?

Also, can anyone comment on experiences with hail-damaged salvage vehicles, and what to watch out for/inspect?

If you would like to keep your comments private, send a PM, and I will keep those answers in strict confidence.

Flippo

2. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Take into consideration that all factory warranties are void on salvage vehicles. Manufacture recalls are still valid.

flippo likes this.
  3. flippo

flippo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks! That won't be an issue on their rebuilt Prius 2nd Gen, but would for the 2016s, and would explain the hefty (like $4-5k) discount.

Since a well-maintained Prius doesn't need a warranty, it's still a consideration.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't see how hail damage could be anything but cosmetic? steve has a good rep here, but i can't tell you more than that.

flippo likes this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    QUOTE="bisco, post: 2434319, member: 5889"]i can't see how hail damage could be anything but cosmetic?[/QUOTE]

Worst case scenario: Large hail stones can break windows thus possible water damage from heavy rains typically associated with these storms.

hail damage.jpg

Best case scenario: Car is perfectly fine mechanically but you drive around a golf ball for the rest of its life.

flippo and bisco like this.
  6. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Speaking of golf balls, the dimples in the horizontal surfaces might reduce the drag. :)

flippo likes this.
  7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yeah, I saw the picts of the hail damage new Prius. It's bad. A lot of body work. Obviously an insurance write off for the dealer. Then off to auction for the car w/ a salvage title kow, even though new.

I'm guessing insurance wrote it off b/c water entered the cabin, esp the dash area. Liability now of air bags being affected by the water intrusion. Better to salvage and becomes somebody else's problem.

flippo likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why buy salvage when new 2016 have huge rebates

9. flippo

flippo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks All.

Thought I would share the surprise resolution. It turns out my uncle is willing to sell me his low-miles (105k) 2006 Prius. I'm going to take him up on that. The insurance check will cover it, I won't have a new car payment, no sales tax on family sales, and it's pretty darn close to the car that got squished, so no changes to anything I'm used to.

I figure that car can last another 3-5 years before I take on a car payment...

-->Flippo

bisco and fotomoto like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good deal, all the best!(y)