1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone do sign language with their baby?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jun 5, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Care to give your 2 cents for you experience please?

2. jared2

jared2 New Member

Sign language? You mean I was supposed to do that as well as toilet train? I'll never catch up now.

3. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 5 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]266186[/snapback]</div>
    From what I've heard, babies develop motor skills quicker than they do verbal skills. So you can communicate earlier with your baby if you choose to.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 5 2006, 01:30 PM) [snapback]266184[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely! We did "baby signs" with our now 5-year-old daughter. Would do it all over again with a new kid. Babies can communicate WAY the heck before they can talk, and this gives them an outlet. Otherwise, you've got a pissed-off baby sitting there crying. Knows exactly what she wants, but has NO tools to tell you what it is. The parent guesses, and is right only half the time on a good day. With baby signs, you know if you've got a thirsty problem, hungry problem, too hot, too cold, tired, scared of the dog, pooping, wants the special toy etc.

Fantastic way to involve yourself in the child's comunication at an early age. When you realize you're actually communicating with your baby years before she can talk, you've got something truly special going. Being able to meet your baby's needs with less frustration is golden.

At first I thought this was some new-age parenting crap, but have come to really respect it.

5. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Did a few signs with both of ours. I don't remember them all but we had about 5 different ones. More, like, don't like, happy, sad,.... that was probably about it. The most used and most useful was the "more" sign, it's very handy to have a nice quiet sign when they are still hungry rather than crying. Once they both learned to talk they would still do the "more" sign w/o thinking about it while also saying they wanted more of something. That stopped after about a year. IMO anything that makes it easier for kids to communicate gives them some empowerment and you end up with happier kids.

6. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, we did it with both of our kids (now 3 and 6). Pretty basic stuff, but incredible that they could do it way, way before they could communicate verbally.

Now they don't even remember!

7. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My wife, who is a veteran Special Education preschool teacher, purchased three DVDs titled, "Signing Time" which are produced by a small company named "Two Little Hands Productions." Using the DVDs, my wife trained our granddaughter from infancy to use signs to communicate, avoiding much of the "terrible two's" that were mentioned in one of the previous posts.

The three videos were designed primarily for toddlers but are engaging for infants, nevertheless. The video series has now been expanded to something like twelve DVDs and has an additional set created especially for infants. Research shows that babies who learn how to sign speak earlier than those who did not. The results with our granddaughter were nothing short of remarkable; she signed to her family in public places and simply amazed passers-by who witnessed her communicating with sign language at such a young age. Our granddaughter is nearly four now and is a virtual chatterbox asking questions about everything and cracking jokes like there's no tomorrow. She has a real command of the language and we think the Signing Time videos had something to do with that.

I know I sound like the overzealous grandpa, but these DVDs made all the difference in her behavior - and ours - for the first two or three years of my granddaughter's life. My wife and I highly endorse these videos.

If that weren't enough, my wife then showed her School District how the Signing Time DVDs could be incorporated into the classroom, especially with Communication Disorder students who struggle when creating speech. The district purchased a set (the original three) for each Special Ed preschool classroom and the teachers all love and use them. This has given many speech-impaired children the "voice" that might otherwise have gone "unheard."

You can learn more by going to the following link: Signing Time!

Hope this helps!

8. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

We did baby sign and are VERY GLAD we did!!! :D Children WANT to communicate long before they can talk. Crying and throwing tantrums IS their way of communicating (along with smiling and making happy baby noises). Give them another option and they will take it, especially if it gets them what they want more consistently. We started around age 9 months and she started signing back about a month later.

We did about a dozen signs and our daycare provider (two days a week) did the same ones. Let's see if I can recall which ones...

Milk (meant for breastfeeding in our case) was the second one I taught her and it was the first one she learned. I should have started with that one! ;)

More was the first I one I tried to teach her, as recommended by many "experts". She didn't sign that one back for MONTHS.

Eat / Hungry

Water was one we did to her, but she would do something different back. (Very difficult for young children to physically do...you hold first three fingers up ... like a "w" ... and tap against your chin)

Sleepy

Book / Story

Drink is one we used very generally with her when she got a little older.

Please

Thank you

Sorry

I Love You (We did that sign to her, but she could not do it back until she was much older due to the manual dexterity required. This is the only sign we still do.)

I do not recall any other signs we did right now. We did them even when she was learning to talk because they were faster for her to communicate. We let her decide when to stop signing. She talked at a very young age (in complete sentences with an impressive vocabulary) and potty-trained herself at the same time (age 21 months), which I have heard and read go hand-in-hand. Something about the connections required in the brain to do one are the same connections required for the other, as well. In any case, my husband and I got a lot of questions from older relatives who didn't understand the point and thought it would delay her speech. They didn't live anywhere close to us, so it didn't impact us much. It is just interesting that what people fear is actually the opposite of what happens.

Oh, I didn't buy any videos or take any special classes. Those are widely available, of course. I bought a book that was unnecessary (I only read the first two chapters), but made me feel better about embarking on this adventure. What helped me the most was talking to other parents who signed. They showed me the signs they used and we just worked on one at a time. It was a lot easier than going through the typical "laundry list" of what could be wrong when our baby was crying. Also, signing is not THAT different than the ol' point and ask. ;) It is just more efficient.

Enjoy your day!
    Karin

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My twin son Brendan is autistic. He showed signs of developmental delay and pretty dramatic speach delay compared to his twin.

One of the earliest interventions was to start signing with him. I'm 100% certain it was a major key to his wonderful improvements. To that end he began reading when he was 3 and began reading chapter books on his own at age 5.

Along came our suprise daughter a couple years later. By then we (my wife and I) knew enough of the basic signs that we began using them almost every time we talked to our daughter. We showed her the sign for 'milk' when she got her bottle and eventually started doing hand-over-hand signing with her as she started to develop adequate motor skills.

I'm absolutely convince it was the perfect bridge for her. We experienced very little in the form of crying for no apparent reason and few tantrums. She was communicating with 10+ signs by about 12-14 months and is very advanced now (at 22months) in her spoken language using new words frequently and using 3-4 word sentences to express her needs.

My only advice is to not get carried away with it. Get a couple dozen signs you'll use all the time, make sure everyone that helps take care of your child knows and uses them. Don't be signing Nazi's until it's clear that the child knows the signs and is simply refusing to use them.

A few signs I strongly recommend:
    Milk
    More
    Please
    Thank-you
    No (more for you to do but to make sure the child understands...I still use this one today with my twins as even across a room all I have to do is make eye contact and sign "no" and they know they're going to be in trouble if they don't straighten up).
    Bath
    Eat

Those alone will take you a long way toward spoken language.

Good luck and have fun.

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

We used baby sign on our first two kids, and plan on using it for our third as well. Our daughter did not use it as much as our sin initially, but she has used it longer than him (albeit for only a few signs). I definitely recommend trying it out. Our son used it to communicate long before he could verbally. Our daughter started speaking much, much earlier than expected, so it wasn't as noticable. Anyway, definitely worth the effort.

11. galaxies1973

galaxies1973 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 5 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]266184[/snapback]</div>
    Well, not yet, on account of not having a baby at this time. ;) However, a good friend of ours got really into it with his son, and another friend has used it with his daughter. Their experiences have been very positive, and we'll probably try it ourselves when the time comes...

- Michelle

12. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So our 15 month old now can sign: yes, no, open, more, ice cream, computer, blanket, tiger, pacifier, poop, soap, cereal, milk, and water. Any other good signs to y'all recommend? We use this asl browser to look up new words:

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

13. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

Signing made a tremendous difference for a Down's Syndrome child in our family. His mother did say, though, that "The experts" said using signs delayed his speaking ability. I think they should be grateful that they were able to communicate with him as early as they could. Unfortunately, none of the rest of us knew the language, and we didn't see them often enough to learn it. He may have had more relationships and stimulation if people other than his mother could understand and communicate with him. It kept him isolated.

Still, I wonder about the speaking ability. At 14, he is terribly difficult to understand. But who can say what might have been? He might have been frustrated a great deal longer in his life and still be difficult to understand if they hadn't used signing. I am grateful for whatever has made things easier for all of them. He's a really sweet boy.

On a lighter note, we have a 2-year-old in our family with a "Golden Finger." He doesn't need to talk because he gets anything he points to. It's fun while it lasts!

14. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I did with my kid. She lost each sign the minute she could speak the replacement word or phrase.

Pretty much the only ones that were really useful were EAT, MORE, ALL DONE.

Nate

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jul 30 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]487626[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes:

I bet that "expert" didn't know squat. While I'll acknowledge that the child may have had a slightly prolonged time until he/she started using spoken language that's irrelevant, as long he's communicating the spoken language will follow and be that much stronger once it starts. Children raised in bilinqual homes also have a delay in speaking, but once they start they catch up and pass their peers and they're speaking two languages instead of just one. Signing is just the same.

I'm absolutely convinced that signing to infants is a positive thing for the child and for the parents who's frustration level with a learning thinking child who can't speak is much decreased when they child can communicate basic needs/wants with signs until language develops.

16. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 30 2007, 05:18 PM) [snapback]487634[/snapback]</div>
    My MIL takes care of my son during the day and all she speaks is chinese. I on the other hand can't speak a lick of it, so he's getting english from me and chinglish from my wife. That plus pseudo sign language... I hope the delay isn't too significant.

17. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Go for it. Well worth it. Don't get carried away though. 5-7 signs (milk, more, all done, etc.) covers most of the basic baby needs.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i am glad to hear so much feedback on baby signing and we will definitely continue to sign to Ryland. i guess what i need to know is what age did anyone's baby start to respond?

we have signed from day 1 on basics like mommy, daddy, eat, etc. and still not anything but an occasional response (sure that was a random movement)

we also netflixed a few "Baby Einstein" DVD's on signing as well. a very good source for baby intel!

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jul 31 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]488034[/snapback]</div>
    Are you doing hand over hand signing? Amarra started to "respond" ie mimic just after we did hand over hand with her while saying "milk" or "more" or whatever pretty early...can't remember the exact age but it must've been around 7-8 months. But spontaneous signing took a bit longer. I wish I'd have kept some sort of record of it all now, but it takes time. Just remember to go crazy with excitement, praise, treats, and "good girls" once it happens to reinforce the behavior.

I think we started signing with Amarra at around 2 months, we started hand over hand a month or two later. She just turned 3 and now we're trying to figure out how to make her shut up!! ;)

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh, maybe we are being too optimistic then. Ry will be 4 months next week. what is "hand over hand" signing?