1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone doing 3d printing ABS?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Dec 12, 2023.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I want to make ABS wheel covers for my 18", after market wheels. The pizza pan covers are OK but the plastic tie-wraps are a pain.

Based on the Tesla Cyber Truck covers, I believe 3d printed, ABS covers could be easily removed and installed for tire changes. They would also cover the five lug nut holes. But as expected, finding an ABS compatible, 3d printer with an 18" (460 mm) x 18" (460) bed with z-axis 5" (130 mm) has become a product identification problem. Ones easily large enough, are often too large and in the $4,000 range.

Another approach would be to print segments and assemble them into a finished cover. With seven segments, each cover would entail pastic welding seven edges. Just I've not done any ABS, plastic welding.

Thoughts?

Bob Wilson

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There should be 3D printing services a plenty in the Huntsville area.....

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are some at the Library. But their format is too small. I also have someone else who thinks she wants a large bed, CNC machine. I have thought about using a high density, uniform density wood to make a low temperature, injection mold which would make us both happy. Besides, you never know when another 'bright idea' might show up.

Bob Wilson

ETC(SS) likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Those who go to sea in ships and small budget Marine appropriations understand how to use what you got to solve the problem today and not b*tch about tomorrow. For example, my Drill Instructor received a hammer that was left in the rifle range butts where targets are run up, down, and scored. He told us, "Today I am going to teach you the most important lesson ... be flexible. Whoever left this hammer will be flexible."

Bob Wilson

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Found one slightly smaller, 450 mm x 450 mm x 470 mm. I could build the core and then make three outer segments to fill out the 470 mm diameter.

The extra 20 mm diameter is actually 10 mm radius short. So I might be able to do it with two rings and overlapping 2-5 mm tabs. Then plastic weld and/or acetone glue the outer ring to the core.

Hummm, it will fit in the corner of the TV room and near an exterior wall vent.

Subs must have an awesome machine shop.

Bob Wilson

ps. For StarTek fans, this will be a home 'replicator.'

#5 bwilson4web, Dec 13, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not as good as a sub tender....or a bird farm.

What always surprised ME was the amazing variety and amount of spare parts that the supply department kept aboard crammed into every conceivable nook and cranny.
    I remember more than one time when we got to stay out on patrol because the SKs scrounged through lockers that we never knew about and found a mission critical part.

When they decommission an 'old' 688 (damn! I remember when they were NEW! :( )
    they probably find enough parts aboard to build another 688 boat.