1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone doing oil change without ramps or stands

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sfl109415, Jul 9, 2009.

1. sfl109415

sfl109415 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well I am a little tired of draining a little oil after the overfill of each and every oil change done at the dealership. I was going to start doing them myself and read all of the oil change threads here I could find over the last few days.

It appears that most here use either ramps or a jack and stands. I am not wanting to use either if at all possible.

I got on my back today and could see where I could get a ratchet on the plug but I could never get my hand on the oil filter. Is it unaccessible or are any folks here actually doing an oil change without ramps or jacks. Are you reaching under the front or side of the car. Is it feasible to remove the front skid plate or plastic panel, whatever it is called.

I am spoiled doing oil changes on my Tundra where I have room to spare underneath.

Just looking for tips from people who are doing a complete oil change with the car flat on the ground.

Thanks

2. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have done all my oil chages so far and all w/o jacks or stands. Get an oil filter remover (for lack of proper term) from Walmart or auto parts store that fits a socket wrench and extension and feel for the oil filter. I use a small mirror to assist install. The drain plug is a no-brainer.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It won't be very easy for you to change the oil without raising the car up. Is it possible to park on a curb in such a way that the driver's side of the car is raised up above the ground, thus allowing more clearance under the car?

When looking for the filter, you need to be at the front of the car. It is not necessary to remove any of the engine under covers to access the filter. The filter is in front of a semi-circular indentation in the oil pan and hangs down (not sideways mounted.)

You will need to use a cap oil filter wrench; bring a replacement filter with you when shopping for the oil filter wrench.

4. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I found using ramps difficult because of the low ground clearance in front, I drive up on two old brake disc rotors I had laying around, gives me another couple inches of clearance. I also wanted to add a point about the oil pan itself, it's made with a crease in the mid part that will retain oil if the car is level during the drain , I jack up the driver's side of the car a few more inches to get every last drop out. I noticed this one day, decided to raise the one side after draining, and was surprised to get more oil out. Advantage of doing it yourself.

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DH has always done all the oil changes for Rudy, and he doesn't use ramps.
    Of course, he has long arms, and uses a hand mirror to see under the car!

I have some photos of our first oil change on my Flickr site.

[​IMG]

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My first oil change was done with the car on the ground. I couldn't see the filter but my long arms could reach it. I got as much of my shoulder and torso under the car as I could to allow as much reach as possible.

Even so, I still bought a set of ramps after that. They're a good investment, IMHO.

7. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I did mine without ramps and without using the jack if memory serves. It's possible that I jacked one corner a few inches but I don't recall doing that for this car (I've done it with other cars before.) My garage floor is clean enough and smooth enough to eat off of so I don't mind a bit of crawling around. I have a decent reach and am not hefty so that helps. The difficulty with the filter is always getting the angle just so, so that it threads. The Prius oil change is clean because the filter isn't on its side like my Tundra (what a mess it can make.)

If there is inadequate clearance for you, you might get enough clearance just by running the front tires up onto short sections of 2x8 scrap on each front wheel. 1.5" makes a pretty substantial difference when you are starting with about 4" of clearance. Of course you want short enough board lenght so that you can slip in beside the front wheel if memory serves. You could probably make a nice mitre cut on one side of the wood so that the tires would climb it easily. Then take the cut strip or other scrap and attach it to the top side near the other end to serve as a stop guide.

I sold my old steel car ramps last year since I rarely used them anymore, even for the Tundra. They were too tall for my Accord, 240, or Prius.

8. sfl109415

sfl109415 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I was able to reach the filter with my hand rather easily after I realized that I needed to slide my arm and shoulder in from the front and not the side in front of the tire.

So all I need is to shop for that oil filter wrench. I have a strap wrench but realize I need the one that you all suggested that fits on the end of the filter and then on to the ratchet and extension.

One other thing I realized is that during my dry run I slid what I thought was my very low profile oil change drain pan under the car and while it fit barely I could not get to the plug or filter so I will have to shop for another even shorter pan.

One favor from anybody who could help. I know I could take the new oil filter in to a parts house and match it to a wrench but I live about 25 miles from the nearest walmart or autozone. I do 90 percent of my shopping online. Would anyone know of a brand and part number or even just the brand name of a wrench bought online. I am actually about to do an extensive search for one right now so I can probably find it on my own. It would just be nice to know of a certain one that someone is actually using.

Edit: I just saw this one that looks like it will do the job. 09228-06501 Oil Filter Wrench Toyota 2485 64mmx15 flute

Thanks

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I park a bit sideways on a slight slope, and slide in from the front. I tried a filter wrench, but the clearance is kinda tight, and I found it easier to just grab the filter with my hand. A small LED headlamp was very useful the first couple of times, but now that I know where everything is, I just feel around in the dark.

10. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I tighten and loosen oil filters by hand (haven't used a filter wrench in years, mainly because they never fit worth a darn, except one I wrapped heavily in duct tape.) And I'm not someone with an iron grip either. Of course, changing one that somebody else overtightened can be a bit tougher and require a screwdriver shoved through the filter housing, but I haven't had to do that in many years.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That appears to be the correct one

I took a sheet metal pan and cut it down to fit under the Prius. It only has to hold 4 US quarts. Those large Tupperware serving containers at Wally would also work, they're under 3 inches high

I've never used ramps or the home-made ramp at the hobby farm to change the oil in my '04 Prius. First oil change, had to use a mirror and do a lot of fiddling to get the filter off

Subsequent oil changes, it was easy

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but they make a real mess in the dishwasher, and the food tastes funny. :rolleyes:

13. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive the car up on 2 2X6 boards,, just to raise the car enough to get to the filter. I also use a vacuum pump to suck the oil out from the top. Works great,, and leave less than a drop in the pan. I haven't pulled the plug in 4 changes.

T.

1 person likes this.
  14. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I have done all my oil changes (8 so far) without a ramp. You have to learn the trick of right where the filter nipple is. I have short arms, so its not a problem at all. I reach up and find the nipple after the old filter is off, then fill the new filter, butter the new filter gasket with oil, and reach up and hit the nipple with the open end of the filter. Then feel around until the nipple finds the threads. No problem...

15. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, but you are one of those little, skinny, runner types :D

another note - If you try parking with one side up on the curb to create space, do it with the driver's side UP... it will help the oil to drain better.

16. sfl109415

sfl109415 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks to all of you for some great tips. They will definitely make the job easier.

Thanks again

17. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    How much is the dealer charging for filters these days? And is anyone using a non Toyota filter?

18. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    How much is the pump and where is the best place to get it?

I love this idea!

19. Verde

Verde New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good tip about tipping the car with the drivers side up a tad.
    I use K&N oil filters. They're rated as being excellent, but better still is that they have a 1" hex bolt fitting on the base of the filter. Which means you can use a 1" hex wrench (or adjustable) to get it on and off. Makes removal trivial.
    I also bought one of those oil plug valves that replaces the oil pan plug in the car. Oil changing is as simple as opening the valve. They are aircraft rated (I believe) so leaking is unlikely. That said, I safety wire it shut when done draining to prevent 'an accident'. And that does require ramps. I use a floor jack at the center engine mount and two jack stands on the front jack points for safety. And of course don't ever (EVER) get under a car that is not being supported buy jack stands or solid ramps.
    Oh, and don't forget to crack open the oil filling cap when you drain the oil. It all goes a bit faster. That and latex gloves. I've worked on cars for many years and they make it a lot more enjoyable (and safer re the chemicals).

20. eestlane

eestlane Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My method exactly! Works great.