1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone driven the Tehachapis in a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by moredes15, Nov 25, 2006.

1. moredes15

moredes15 Junior Member

How has your car performed going over the mountains? Can you keep it at 70-75 or do you have to let off the gas? Any overheating problems? AC on or off?

What are the indications that the engine is getting too hot or working too hard? There's no tach or water temp gauge.... I've always felt like I'm drivin' on faith...

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Lots of Prius miles in mountains, no such problems. Keep the faith.

3. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I drive through the mountains in Colorado all the time. Going up the worst of the passes (heading up I70 to Eisenhower Tunnel) I can maintain 70 without a problem, however if I have to slow down for traffic it can take a while to get back up to 70mph again. You have to get used to the sound of engine running at 5000 RPM, some people think it sounds like the engine is working too hard, but the computer is just keeping the engine at the most efficient rpm range for the power required. Count on running out of battery on the long uphills and getting full charges on the downhills.
    I've even pulled a small (400 lb) trailer up these passes with no problem.

4. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I have driven thru Tehachapi and had absolutely no problem. I've driven San Francisco to Reno and had absolutely no problem.

5. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I drove to PHX and back from SAN this weekend (725mi), including climbing the Alpine grade (4200ft). I was absolutely amazed at the power of the Prius. I never had to disengage the cruise control during the climbs, and had no trouble maintaining 70mph. In fact, I was briefly "stuck" behind slower traffic in the left lane occasionally. Also, I had three passengers and lots of heavy luggage. I've driven this trip with my Avalon numerous times, and will say that it was just as comfortable in the Prius, without the annoying "downshifts" on the steep grades.
    FYI: fuel consumption to PHX was right @ 49.9mpg/return trip was 47.4, probably because I was bucking a stiff headwind most of the way. Due to cool temps outside, I did not have to use the A/C at all. I'm 68yr old, have owned artound 15 different cars during my lifetime. IMHO, This is BY FAR the best automobile I've ever driven. :)

6. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I drove thru the Tioga Pass in California (9945ft gradual elevation for 50-60 miles). I was able to cruise at about 60mph, when pushed to the metal I topped only at 75mph. I was also by myself in the car with minimal luggage.

7. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No problems. I ran through the Tehachapis with barely 1000 miles on mine back in '05 and it performed fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. curtissac

curtissac New Member

Driven Sacramento/Reno at 70 mph without a problem. Cruise set at 70 and it did the entire trip without losing one mph (except where required by traffic).

I have not climbed the grapevine in my Prius but I would imagine it will require the ICE to wind up a bit (like in the sierras. As long as you realize that letting it rev up is not a problem, it will be fine. You will use battery power as the ICE isn't going to be able to pull the car on the grade at 70 by itself. If the battery goes "flat" you will slow down. You might decide that 60-65 is fast enough (you will still blow by trucks like they are parked). Very few cars will be doing more than 70 on the southbound climb - You don't have to prove anything.