1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else experiencing this break issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MJ225, Aug 11, 2009.

1. MJ225

MJ225 New Member

Model:
    II
    Every now and then, when I step on the brake, the car throttles forward a bit before it remembers it is supposed to be braking. At first I thought it was my imagination but this has happened several times.

Anyone else experiencing this?

2. Waterlogged

Waterlogged Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I have noticed this a number of times and it is quite startling. I had a gen I prius, but I can't remember if it did it or not.

3. MJ225

MJ225 New Member

Model:
    II
    Glad that I am not the only one.

It might not be that the Prius throttles forward. It might just be that the braking doesn't immediately start as I would expect it to when I step on the pedal. So instead of slowing down the car is still moving forward. Relative to my expectations for it to slow down, it just feels as if the car is throttling forward.

Anyone know if this a computer or mechanical issue?

4. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is this when braking fairly strongly on a rough or uneven road surface? "Surges" under those conditions are well-known and are the result of wheels slipping and the ABS kicking in, which requires regenerative braking to cut out. So you go from regen braking to ABS-ing mechanical brakes.

1 person likes this.
  5. ancientsan

ancientsan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had that issue with my 07 Rav4, not sure if they're related or not. It only happens on the freeway when I lightly step on the brakes, then I would feel the car jerk forward a little before slowing down. Haven't experience this with my new prius though.

6. peteseltz

peteseltz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes i have experienced this as well! glad i am not the only one. It has only happened a handful of times and only happens when i hit a pothole

7. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, the ABS system is terrible on the Prius. If you hit the brakes hard over any big bumps, you are going to get the feeling of the car flying away

1 person likes this.
  8. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps you are experiencing the normal transition between electrical regenerative braking and the friction brake pads engaging?

When braking with a routine amount of pressure on the brake pedal, the Prius will use regen down to 6mph or so, then the friction brakes engage to bring the car to a stop. The transition often feels like the brakes stopped working for a fraction of a second.

And when braking over a rough road surface (like hitting a pothole), the traction control kicks in, and it also feels like the brakes stopped working for a fraction of second before it re-engages.

If these are what you are experiencing, you will get used to it soon enough. This kind of braking behavior prompts me to think ahead just a bit more so I start applying the brakes earlier than I would in a regular all-friction-brake car.

1 person likes this.
  9. ross33

ross33 New Member

If i hit a bumpy road surface when coming to a stop,especially downhill, there is a loss of braking in my 05.