1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else get a soft rattle from the dash area at low speeds?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by soft_r, Jun 17, 2024 at 5:37 PM.

1. soft_r

soft_r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Doesn't happen on all roads. Grass/gravel is too bumpy and rough, and fresh paved is too smooth. Older paved textured road at around 20-35mph. It's like there's a something in there resonates at a certain vibration and thus the rattle. It's quiet enough that the radio will easily overpower it. But it's there. And I'd just like to know if this is unique to my car or if others get a slight rattle from the dash area.

My issue is I can't remember if the rattle existed before I did the speaker upgrades. So this could be a self inflicted wound but I'm very careful about the work I do. No clips have been broken on any dash facia. Nothing dropped into the dash/vents. I've cleared out the center console trays, removed the glovebox entirely, removed all custom wire runs, taped down and/or secured any dangling wires (such as the unused connectors for the tweeters, or the piston for the glove box which has the potential to rattle since it's not a snug fit). I've had the entire head unit out and can still hear it. So that tells me it's deeper into the dash than I've been.

There's been other rattles:
    1. The passenger seat belt harness rattling against the B pillar. Easy fix is I just keep the passenger seat belt buckled at all times.
    2. There's also a rattle in my rear right door area (haven't touched the rear doors so that's definitely not self inflicted) that I've compensated with by blocking 0-300hz on the rear door speakers to prevent it from happening. I figure I'll bring it up to the tech before they do the fix for the rear door recall and have them snug everything up extra tight while they're in there.
    3. The kick panel in the driver foot well under the steering wheel rattled until I pushed the back end of it up and it kind of clicked into place. Easy fix.

2. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    No rattles here. I do find the passenger seat rattles against the pillar after my wife sits in the car. It's due to the seat belt getting twisted after unbuckles. I just untwist it so it flat against the pillar. I also added some leather covers for the buckles to keep them quiet.

3. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Nothing I've heard. The only weird thing I hear and I've heard a few other folk mentioning it is some wind ingress noise (like a seal not sealing) from the back, but in my case only if there is a strong crosswind!

And this is at highway speeds.

4. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    No rattles of any kind here

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    A number of dash rattles here. At least 3 different dash locations, varying with temperature, plus the passenger side seat belt shoulder point.

6. Gwyd

Gwyd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The flat piece that covers the wiring on the rearview mirror rattles for me, a tissue stuffed between it and the adjoining piece takes care of it.

7. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    There's a thread on this in the Maintenance & Troubleshooting sub-forum. My rattle/buzz seems to be from the windshield wiper relay mount that's under the driver's dash speaker(though it's only accessible by removing the entire dash pad). I tightened the nut and the rattle went away, but it came back a day or two later(dash was still out, so I'm okay with that). I've got a couple ideas to perma-fix the problem, but I've been busy with another project and haven't wrapped up the car yet.

I have no idea my problem is the same as yours or anyone else's. I hope it's just me because of how hard it is to fix it.

soft_r likes this.
  8. soft_r

soft_r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Good suggestion, I'll have to check mine next time I'm back in there. Maybe some blue loctite on it will keep it snug for you. Don't use red though, need heat to break red loctite bond.