1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else have problem with peeling interior?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GreenAdventuress, Oct 14, 2008.

1. GreenAdventuress

GreenAdventuress New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hello everyone,
    I am new here and so glad to have found you! Has anyone else had trouble with their door panels, glove compartment and dash peeling? I am a devout sunscreen wearer and the places I have mentioned peeled horribly after sunscreen from my fingers or arms touched it! My dealer said they have never heard of such a thing and don't know what the cause is. They replaced my driver's side door panel once, but it peeled again after my sunscreen from my arm touched it and now they want big bucks. I tried different brands and it doesn't make any difference. This sounds crazy but when they told me how much it would cost to replace all the panels, I decided to live with it.....especially if it would do it again. Thanks for your time everyone....I don't know what to do. It looks terrible.
    Sincerely,
    Teresa

2. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome!

Search is your friend.....there's another thread out there about this, I just don't remember where. Try "sunscreen" as a search term.

If I recall, the answer is "yes, sunscreen will cause the paint to peel." At worst, you could try it on a section of the door that has already peeled; unless of course you feel that the door would be damaged more than it already is.

3. bbbygbear

bbbygbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have the steerring wheel peeling and I am seeing the dealer today about it. Other than that so far no other peeling has occurred. I do not use sunscreen as I do not sit in the sun. 2008 prius in silver is what I have.

4. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This may be a good excuse not to take my Prius to the beach.

5. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    nothing so far inside the car

but the weather stripping/molding on the drivers side door has peeled off, more specifically just the molding that rubs/tracks the window. I had it replaced free at the dealer. Only thing I can think of was extreme heat we had this summer that melted it, I had some black tar at the top of the window..and it's obvious it melted away along with my windshield wipers.

been applying dielectric grease on all exposed rubber to see if it keep's it from rotting so quickly.