1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else here have problems with Parts.com?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Fstr911, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I learned about Auto Parts - Parts.com, For Every Part of Your Life from this website and ordered some wheel caps for my Prius on October 6th.

As of 10/15/09 I've not had any indication that they have shipped and they are not responsive to my email questions and subsequent complaints.

I've also noticed they appear to avoid any phone contact. As a result, I question their business practices.

Has anyone else had problems with parts.com? :confused:

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My dad is far from a computer whiz but he amazingly ordered his center caps himself from parts.com and they actually arrived.

I could be wrong, but I think at one point he said something to me like where are they, and I checked for him by logging on his account as him and it said shipped. Everything did arrive fine though.

I know it is frustrating, but maybe give it to Monday and see what happens, then start the new week with a mission. Good luck, I have faith you'll get your stuff :)

3. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Paradox, I appreciate the quick response.

At this point I do not expect to do business with a website that does business this way.

Hopefully others will be more careful with recommendations made on this site.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've ordered several things from them and they all arrived in a reasonable amount of time. I couldn't tell you about problem resolution, as everything worked ok.

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I checked my email history for Parts.com. There was an initial email confirming my order. Then a day later there was an email stating that the parts were shipped. They shipped FedEx ground, with tracking (which allows you to query where your package is in the FedEx system).

Did you get any email back from them confirming your order? Did the order show up on your credit card account?

Their prices are the best I've found, but that probably also means that they run a lean operation that doesn't allow instant response to emails. When I need something quickly, I just go to my local dealer. They are particularly good at handling a "give me a new one of this thing" requests. But if the timing isn't critical, and I can find the part in the parts.com database, then I order it from them. Sure beats paying my dealer's prices that are about 20% higher than parts.com shows as list price (before their discount!).

6. Bwalls

Bwalls Junior Member

Model:
    IV
    I ordered my fog light mounting brackets from parts.com. They shipped and arrived promptly. They were actual Toyota brackets. Good price compared to dealer pricing. As other have stated, they shipped via FedEx andI was able to track my package online.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have ordered two or three different parts from them for my Jeep Grand Cherokee in the past and never had any problem with them. Their tracking status worked fine and I was able to track the parts to my house.

Sorry you are having problems.

8. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Well, I am pleased to hear your responses. However still no response from these people.

The following is from the parts.com website:

Answer:
    If you would like a representative to contact you directly, please fill out our Contact Us Form and someone will contact you within 48 hours upon receiving your email.

Is this the Translation?: Don't call us if you have a problem!

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Funny how things go. I ordered about a 2 months ago from them and I got those caps, filters and all kinds of stuff for my Kia van. They went out of their way for me to ship USPS and they ended up accidently shipping UPS. Took em four days to round up the parts and ship. They even absorbed the cost of shipping UPS (probably 30-40 bucks).
    I was very pleased with them. The communication was great (at least with the Toyota and Kia side of the house).
    Sorry to hear about the problems.

10. mathferret

mathferret Junior Member

Model:
    III
    I ordered from parts.com once a few weeks ago, and it was nothing but problems. The part was a black right door molding for a VW, whose VIN # I provided. Found the part, and cutaway picture of it on their website, at a good price. Rec'd a primed (not black, as I ordered) fender molding not door molding (3 inches, not 2.5 feet, long).

Emailed them (no phone #...). No answer. Email again. Response: all of them come primed now. Me: regardless, this isn't even the right part, not just the wrong color. A: you have the wrong part #, the catalog you ordered from is wrong. Me: uh, the catalog is your website, and you say on your website that you verify everything if I give a VIN #; will you replace it with the right part? No further substantive response.

They've not answered my request for them to provide return shipping for the return (not exchange, since they haven't been able to tell me whether they have the part in some color, and catalog part # doesn't seem to match... and no one will tell me what's up...) due to their screwup.

Sent it back on my dime (was only $3.38 to send back), and am contesting the entire charge with my credit card company --- since even if they do refund my money for the items, they don't seem to be planning to refund the $10.99 shipping they charged me (and wouldn't have if they didn't falsely advertised, or at least checked the part prior to shipping...).

I won't ever order from them again.

1 person likes this.
  11. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Update: Still no response from these parts.com people.

Hindsight: Sites that fail to provide a phone number or physical address should be considered a warning to the Prius Chat people or others.

Lastly, today I called and requested that my credit card not accept ANY charges from the parts.com people.

My opinion…these people are not the type I want to do business with.

12. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've had no problems with them, although, as you said, they are hard to communicate with. My order came through on time, and were quality parts. They really should open up their contact paths. Why keep customers wondering?

Jim

13. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I picked the phone earlier today and ordered that same part from a professional and personable person. Better yet they are a Toyota dealership. The 4 caps cost me a total of $4.00 more than a non responsive parts .com site.

And ..the comment "if you need anything else, my name is Travis" sounded very nice at this point....

I learned what I already knew. You get what you pay for.