1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else see this about a 4th of July DC Hybrid Rally?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by Tempus, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This was posted on one of the Yahoo Groups. First I've heard of it.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 7:01 PM
    To: Larry Bohlen
    Subject: July 4th Declaration of Independence from Foreign Oil -
    Rally and Parade of Hybrid Cars

Title: July 4th Declaration of Independence from Foreign Oil - Rally
    and Parade of Hybrid Cars

Join us for a Declaration of Independence from Foreign Oil Rally
    and a Parade of Hybrid and Fuel Efficient Cars!

Sunday, July 4th
    12:30 pm - 1:30 pm

Union Station fountain
    (Cars meet on Delaware Ave. and will circle around in a parade)

Who should come?

- Owners of hybrid and highly efficient vehicles to drive in a flag-waving, sign-bearing caravan to help create a TV news spot with the Capitol building in the backdrop

- Cyclists and walkers who want to send a message about other energy
    efficient modes of transport - Volunteers to wave flags, hold signs and hand out literature to tourists and reporters

PLEASE CONFIRM TO Larry Bohlen , lbohlen@f... or 202-270-1547
    so we can get an accurate count of vehicles

What to bring?

- Yourself

- Your hybrid Prius, Civic or Insight or fuel efficient car (such as the 40 MPG Toyota Corolla)

- Signs that emphasize that we are "Declaring Independence from Foreign
    Oil" which is patriotic, promotes peace, the economy, and clean air (we
    are going VERY positive with this event to encourage the average car-bound person to make his or her next purchase a fuel-efficient one even though it would be fun to protest the Cheney energy policy and hold
    up signs that say "No Blood for Oil!")

- American flags (but, please, no Adbusters versions for this particular event)

- Sunscreen and water

What we will provide:

- One dozen flags to clip onto car windows for the first dozen people who arrive with fuel efficient vehicles (assuming local stores do not sell them all)

- literature on Breaking the Chain of Oil Dependency

- promotion to local media to try to get this story to many, many people as a unique part of the typical, obligatory 4th of July news coverage

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:

12:30 to 12:45 gather (cars at Delaware Ave. and others at Union Station fountain)

12:50 to 1:15 parade of hybrids cycles around traffic circle at Union Station and Delaware Ave. (if it is open)

1:00 pm news conference in front of the Union Station fountain with Capitol building and parade of hybrids with signs and flags in the backdrop

1:20 parade of cars takes 1st Street to Independence Ave. if these streets are open and drives to Washington Monument (14th Street) and back

More on why we're doing this: Energy independence, particularly at a time of war, would reduce our reliance on Middle Eastern oil. Hybrid and highly fuel efficient vehicles conserve energy, promote peace, save money and reduce air pollution. Many drivers feel their choice is a patriotic action that can help, as the U.S. Constitution states, "provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare," and "ensure domestic tranquility."

Event Sponsors include:

Friends of the Earth, Ecostewards Alliance, Greenpeace

Contact info: Larry Bohlen, Friends of the Earth
    lbohlen@f..., 202-270-1547 cell

2. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's the first I've seen of it -- good catch.

Sounds interesting but I'm not sure if I could make it downtown by 12:30 since I can't leave Manassas until between 11:30 and 12 after church.

3. rflagg

rflagg Member

I'm definately there! I'm going to call him today to see if there's any more info.

-m.

4. rflagg

rflagg Member

I called up Larry, sounds like a pretty decent guy. He owns a Honda Civic Hybrid for 2 years now and wants to promote 'our own declaration of independance' from foreign oil. Right now they have about 10 total cars involved(incl myself), so I hope to see some of you local DC folk down there as well!

-m.

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Be sure to get some pictures!

6. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hybrid Rally Photos

Well, it turns out that I was able to make to DC in time for the Hybrid Rally and the "Declaration of Independence From Foreign Oil". We had a fun time in spite of the rain -- my baby needed a bath anyway!

Aside from the event itself I had the added pleasure of meeting the famous and prolific RFlagg (he didn't need a name tag because his Black Prius wears one for him :) ). My apologies to anyone else that showed up that I didn't have a chance to meet -- with the rain and hubbub it wasn't very conducive to meeting too many folks.

I also found out when I looked at the distribution list of a last minute update from the event organizer that my cousin was on the list. I haven't seen my cousin in some time and it turns out that he bought a Civic Hybrid for his wife (he rides the Metro) and drove it to the event. It happens that he is a Deputy Director of NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council) -- I'll ask him to keep my apprised of any upcoming opportunities to show off our Prii for a good cause.

Enough rambling..let me see if I can figure out how to post a couple of photos.