1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone, especially all you sharkfin owners...please help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sea-horsea, Apr 16, 2008.

1. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

Ok i admit that I am dumb....I got a sharkfin and I was excited and I was about to install it...I peal off the tape and was double checking on the alignment and for some i donno what dumb reason I dropped it....yes I DROPPED IT and now the tape was covered in dust/sand/dirt/rocks or whatever you can think of that a tape would pick up after you drop it...arrrhhh so mad!!!

Ok now I am trying to replace the tape and I donno which type of tape I should get.....I do have double-sided tape use for re-grip golf clubs..I was wondering if that works...and if not please let me know whats the best to buy and where to buy...thank you again....

arrrhhh still mad at myself...

2. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    that golf tape would work, or use servo tape. Go to a hobby store, they carry it, usually expensive though. You can find it online cheaper, but with shipping might aswell pay the 5.99 at the hobby store.

That's what I would do, on the other hand I almost went with the sharkfin, but just took the OEM ant off and it look's the same almost, and reception in my town is about the same with the ant on or off, except for a few weaker FM&AM stations..but honestly I don't care because I dont listen to OTA radio anyway..just mp3 cd's or sirius.

3. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have heard that you can contact VirtualGarage and request/buy another sticky piece for your sharkfin. I have never tried it, so I might be completely wrong.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1, I had trouble getting the backing off and messed up the seal on mine. They'll probably have you mail the shark-fin back and they'll replace the adhesive...probably for free if you're nice.

5. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    3M also makes adhesive strips for external automotive use. Might even be what they used on the sharkfin. Probably available at automotive supply stores.

6. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

I really want to get it over with asap....so I will try the double-sided for my golf clubs and see what happens...thanks

7. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just go down to WallyWorld (Wal-Mart) automotive and get double-sided moulding tape, I'm sure its the same thing on the Sharkfin.

8. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Somewhile back, another poster had a similar problem. They reported that
    when they contacted the maufacturer, they sent a replacement hurry-up
    quick. Sorry, dont remember the $$. Try here:

VG Shark Fin Antenna - Home

9. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

I've look all the stores possible and they only have regular white color tape but my car is black...what should I do? just order one from the company? i thought I could get it done by now...Arrhhhhh

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Double sided tape used to hold mouldings on is black. Any auto accessory store should sell it. Get the thinest width you can find, use a razor blade to trim off around the edges. Use care not to cut yourself.

When you stick the fin on don't peel all the protective backing off, just peel a little you can use to pull the rest off once in place. Use a little clear sticky tape to lift the end of the protective backing tape.

11. MagneticGrayIndy

MagneticGrayIndy 06Prius;94M Miata;65Rambler770

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    "Use a little clear sticky tape to lift the end of the protective backing tape"

great idea!! little things make a big difference.. this would have made installing my side moldings MUCH easier!