1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone ever remove the rear axle beam?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ronlewis, Jan 12, 2024.

1. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I might buy a wrecked car that has a rear axle beam out of alignment. Thinking I can swap the entire rear end from one of my parts cars. As I read the service manual, it describes removing the hub assemblies as part of the process to remove the axle beam. I don't see how that's really necessary in my case since the parts car's axle has those on it, I just want to roll the entire assembly over - wheels, tires, hubs, axle beam.

I think I'll have a few cables and brake lines to disconnect, two shock absorbers, and the long bolt that goes through each toe control link. Am I missing anything? Is there some reason the hub assemblies need to come off?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't think so I was just looking in the back of a Prius that I have here with the tires off and it's being stripped to go to salvage albeit slowly. And it looks like you're spot on I would think the hubs can stay You're going to disconnect everything from the shock spring assembly what have you undo your brake cables in your pass-through stuff I'd even try to leave the wheels on the assembly after I get everything off so I can just roll the mess back like I do with my lawn tractor transmission and rear end and then that roll that right up under the car I'm going to put it in put a few bolts in and it's good to pretty much go but I think you got it.

BruceBerq1 likes this.
  3. BruceBerq1

BruceBerq1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It appears to be a pretty straight forward job to do, as long as you pay attention to disconnecting and not damaging any connections; brake lines, cables, wheel speed sensors, and any other tubes and wires that might be routed and hung from it.

4. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks Tom, that's what it looks like to me - an ABS cable, the brake lines and brackets, the shock absorbers, then just the two long bolts and roll the whole assembly out. Ditto to the parts car and both back together so my parts car will still roll.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  5. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Cancel. Missed out on that one. It was nice, but someone bought before the auction.