1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone ever run a slightly larger tire?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Optimus, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As the title says, has anyone ever run a slightly larger tire than stock? I'm about to aquire an '02 Prius that has decent summer tires, but I just happen to have a brand new set of very nice snows off another Toyota that are a tad larger than the stock Prius size. The stock Prius size is 175/65R14, and the snows I have are 185/70R14 and are about 3/4 inch taller and 10mm wider. If I have to, I'll buy a new set of snows, but I'd like to re-use the ones I already have if possible. I know people have run slightly wider tires, but I haven't seen anything about running slightly larger tires.

Yes, I know larger tires will throw off the speedo. odometer, and mpg readings slightly. I'm more concerned with whether they will fit and/or screw up any of the fancy electronics.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    On 2001 Prius I used 185/65R14, which have larger circumfrence than the originals, but not quite as large as your size.

I expect you will encounter no problems. Use the same size on all 4 wheel positions though (obviously). Your car has 4 individual wheel speed sensors, and we better not upset them.